Backing Up Outlook for a Smooth Reinstallation: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter Alexandra19
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of reinstalling Windows XP due to a virus causing errors and slow performance. The individual also expresses the need to backup their Outlook Express emails and settings before the reinstallation. A suggestion is given to use the archive feature in Outlook to export the emails onto a CD and then import them back after the reinstallation. The conversation also touches on the importance of removing any spyware before proceeding with the reinstallation.
Alexandra19
Hello,

I want to reinstall Windows Xp soon, as I got a virus and after cleaning the computer doesn't work as smooth as before. I gives some strange erros and sometimes it justs hangs up... I want to backup Outlook Express emails and settings before reinstall, and restore afterwards. Any help?

Computer science news on Phys.org
There should be an archive feature in Outlook. You can export all of your emails to the archive, copy them to a cd then after reinstalling you can open the archive file.

Go to <<File>> <<Import & Export>>
Select Export to File from Dialog
Select Personal Folder File (.pst) from next dialog
Select bits of Outlook you want to Copy in next dialog and click include subfolder checkbox.
Enter File name (.pst) on next dialog
Click <<Finish>>

When reinstalled select either
<<File>> <<Open>> and the .pst folder that will append a new mailbox under the default one.
or <<File>> <<Import & Export>>
Select "From another programme or file" from the dialog
Select Personal Folder File (.pst) from next dialog

Before you reinstall I would look to make sure you have gotten rid of any spyware that may have been on there as well. That is if doing that is more time economical than the reinstall. Spyware is the number one thing I have to clean on any of the computers I work on.

1. How do I backup Outlook emails?

To backup your Outlook emails, you can use the built-in export feature. In Outlook, go to File > Open & Export > Import/Export. Then, select "Export to a file" and choose "Outlook Data File (.pst)". Select the folders you want to backup and choose a location to save the file.

2. Can I backup my Outlook contacts and calendar?

Yes, you can backup your Outlook contacts and calendar along with your emails by following the same steps mentioned above. Just make sure to select the appropriate folders for contacts and calendar before exporting.

3. How often should I backup Outlook?

It is recommended to backup Outlook at least once a month or whenever you make significant changes to your emails, contacts, or calendar. This will ensure that you have an up-to-date backup in case of any data loss.

4. Can I restore my Outlook backup to a different computer?

Yes, you can restore your Outlook backup to a different computer. Just copy the .pst file to the new computer and use the import feature in Outlook to restore the data. Keep in mind that you may need to set up your email account again on the new computer.

5. Is there a way to automate the backup process?

Yes, you can use third-party software or Outlook add-ins to automate the backup process. These tools can schedule regular backups and even save the backup files to a cloud storage service for added security.