How can I improve my touch typing speed using the Dvorák keyboard layout?

• Thread starter 280Z28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the Dvorak keyboard layout has increased the speed of the user by approximately 25 wpm. The user is still experiencing some difficulty with accuracy and speed, but is willing to continue the experiment.
280Z28
I switched to the Dvorák keyboard layout on 12/28/06, 4:30pm. I want to see not only how quickly I can match my previous speed (65wpm on QWERTY), but how much I can exceed it by.

I did not rearrange my keyboard keys, so I never look at them (since only the a and m keys type the letter that's on them).

I'm interested in forming a mental attack plan to maximize the efficiency/effectiveness of my training. Here's how things have gone so far:

12/28: 9wpm
12/29: 13
30: 17
31: 21
1/1: wasn't at a computer
1/2: barely at a computer, hardly any typing
1/3: 22
1/4: 29
1/5: 30
1/6: 31

It really feels like I've hit some sort of barrier, and it's getting to my head. I'm feeling "jumpy" and I'm frustrated, but I am NOT giving up.

Today I spent time typing while singing along to music in an attempt to reduce my dependency on keeping a "mental picture" of the keys as I type. When I'm doing that, I'm around 22wpm, with about 2 typos per minute. I make even more mistakes while typing a post like this because I'm trying to think about what I'm posting.

So, does anyone have any practical suggestions? As long as there appears to be interest in my experiment/progress, I'll keep posting my results. :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
When I switched the thing that won it for me was chatting on IRC. Of course it can be frustrating because by the time you have entered what you wanted to say, the conversation might have moved on slightly, but it gives motivation to be fast and the words are simple.

I can also suggest a Dvorak switching proggy, there is one called DVAssist which lives in the tray. That works well for work computers. I can also suggest trying the MS Natural 4000, it's a great keyboard for Dvorak typing.

I can type at 75WPM.

One more thing, early on I practiced on those ABCD exercises (google for them). I did half of them each day for about 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll gain all that much speed over what you had before, probably 10-20 wpm, but the real benefit is the reduced strain. Also you will be able to cruise over difficult punctuation like never before.

1. What is speed training for touch typing?

Speed training for touch typing is a method of improving your typing speed and accuracy by practicing specific exercises and techniques. These exercises can include drills, games, and timed typing sessions.

2. Why is speed training important for touch typing?

Speed training is important for touch typing because it allows you to type faster and more accurately, which can save you time and improve your productivity. It also helps to reduce strain on your fingers, wrists, and hands, which can prevent injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome.

3. How do I know if I need speed training for touch typing?

If you find yourself struggling to type quickly and accurately, or if you often make mistakes while typing, then speed training for touch typing may be beneficial for you. It can also be helpful for individuals who use a computer frequently for work or school.

4. How long does it take to see improvement with speed training for touch typing?

The amount of time it takes to see improvement with speed training for touch typing varies depending on the individual and their current typing abilities. With consistent practice, most people can see noticeable improvements within a few weeks.

5. Are there any tips for effective speed training for touch typing?

Some tips for effective speed training for touch typing include using proper typing techniques, practicing regularly, and gradually increasing your typing speed. It is also important to take breaks and stretch your fingers and wrists to prevent strain or injury.