What Surprising Musical Talent Did William Shatner Possess?

• Thread starter BoulderHead
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various musical performances by William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, known for their roles in the television series Star Trek. These performances include Shatner's singing career, Nimoy's rendition of "Bilbo Baggins," and a collaboration CD between the two actors. The conversation also touches on Shatner's role in a movie called "The Succubus" and a humorous EDS commercial featuring cat herding. The conversation ends with a mention of a video featuring a man playing music with airhorns and a link to Porky Pig singing "Blue Christmas."
BoulderHead
I never knew, but after listening I can truthfully say that this material is for the faint of hearing! :surprise: :biggrin:

Oh, ye Trekkies, if your ears can stand the strain then listen as the king of overactica outwits a couple of songs;

http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/Shatnersings.htm

Leonard Nimory works some LOTR magic, too! :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
I heard him sing on a priceline commercial. He's really bad. :yuck:

WOW! I was talking about this not too long ago, but I didn't know that anything of this existed any longer.

I am pretty sure that Shatner also put out a Christmas Album one year. :rofl:

Really I've got to hand it to him, Shatner has done some really daring things. I recently watched a movie staring Shatner called The Succubus, all about a female demon that posesses men, in that succubusian sort of way, all done in Esperanto. Now that took some cojones!

Bilbo Baggins by Nimoy was a favorite whacko song when I was a young teen. It was a regular on Dr. Demento.

and Boulderhead, would you please keep your eye still!

Tsu has been staring at the computer with her head bobbing around for hours now.

[edit]
Thought I'd gut all of those comments in favor of a link to some funny videos;

http://www.candlelightdreams.com/videos/

Under the Commericials heading is a very funny EDS Cat Herding Commercial. I had not seen it before this morning but television viewers in the US may have. It's worth downloading IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seen an ad about 6 years ago about a Shatner and Nimoy CD on Space channel. After the annoncer said this is rare blah blah, they had to add "this is not a joke" and you hear it 2 more time during the ad.

An old buddy had his "clearing out" music. It was what he would play at the end of a party to get people out of his house. Shatner's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was one of the most effective. The only problem was the occasional diehard trekkie would stay to listen to it. Then he had to switch to "Mr. French Speaks Dylan".

Njorl

Clever man make music with many airhorns attached to his body (allow time for the video to load);

http://www.hugi.is/hahradi/bigboxes.php?box_id=51208&f_id=681

LOL, you guys never heard William "The Golden Throat" Shatner singing before? I remember hearing his version of Mr. Tambourine Man in the 80's. I thought it was a joke, but I guess he was serious.

"The Golden Throat"

It has been a new experience for me. I was a fan (without the atic) of the television series and had no ideo this material existed. Don't forget to check out that musical Frenchman while you're here, it's great stuff. :rofl:

Porky Pig singing Blue Christmas;
http://www.blueyze.com/bluechristmas.html

What is "OMG, William Shatner sings"?

"OMG, William Shatner sings" is a comedy album released in 2010 by actor and singer William Shatner. The album features Shatner's unique spoken word interpretations of popular songs.

Who is William Shatner?

William Shatner is a Canadian actor, author, and singer who is best known for his role as Captain James T. Kirk in the popular science fiction television series, Star Trek. Shatner has also had a successful career as a singer, releasing several albums throughout the years.

What inspired William Shatner to release this album?

The idea for "OMG, William Shatner sings" came from Shatner's appearance on the 2004 Emmy Awards, where he performed a spoken word interpretation of the song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". The performance became an internet sensation and led to Shatner's collaboration with producer Ben Folds on the album.

What songs are featured on "OMG, William Shatner sings"?

The album features Shatner's unique take on popular songs such as "Common People" by Pulp, "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen, and "Rocket Man" by Elton John, among others. The album also includes a duet with Shatner's Star Trek co-star, Leonard Nimoy.

Is "OMG, William Shatner sings" a serious album or a parody?

The album is a mix of both serious and parody elements. While some of the songs are meant to be taken seriously, others are intentionally humorous and play on Shatner's iconic speaking style. The album has received mixed reviews, with some praising Shatner's unique approach while others criticize it as being too campy.

Back