Superbooster™ cell phone booster fraud

• Thread starter negitron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary, these "superbooster" cell phone "booster" products are nothing more than RF-based EAS tags with the company's own label slapped on them. They are frauds, and their only purpose is to track the location of the person using the tag.
negitron
Science Advisor
Superbooster™ cell phone "booster" fraud

The following image is a freeze-frame from the product ad, as found on the parent website of the marketing company who makes and sells the product:

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2258/superbooster.jpg

This is an image of a type of RF-based EAS tag, commonly used in libraries, from the How Stuff Works website:

anti-sec-tag3.jpg

Yeah, nothing suspicious there, right? Obviously, they buy these EAS tags, slap their own label on them (at a total cost of less than $1, most likely) and sell these things to gullible sheeple. While there are lots of these useless things out there, this is a particularly egregious example because there is not even the pretense of designing an original product; it's just out-and-out fraud. I urge everyone to report these shysters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

wow, this is so lame

could it be even worse?
could that device monitor your location for, let see..for instance
1. I have your address
2. I can tell your current location
3. I heard you last night blabbin' on the cell phone while you entered the code for your house alarm
4. I know when you're 5 minutes away, so you never realize the U-haul you just passed has the contents of your house in it

oh, no, you saw me , so...maybe, boom, your phone blows up in your ear

dr

dr dodge said:
could it be even worse?
could that device monitor your location for, let see..for instance
1. I have your address
2. I can tell your current location
3. I heard you last night blabbin' on the cell phone while you entered the code for your house alarm
4. I know when you're 5 minutes away, so you never realize the U-haul you just passed has the contents of your house in it

oh, no, you saw me , so...maybe, boom, your phone blows up in your ear

dr

So long as we don't jump to conclusions.

lol

no, that would never happen

dr

These things aren't powered. So they can't track anything.

VicDelmonte said:
These things aren't powered. So they can't track anything.

They are powered. The spiral antenna receives RF energy from the interrogating system. The chip is activated and responds with the RF tag ID number.

The effect is local, but if you pepper a city with interrogating antennas, you can track the location of the chips. They're pretty easy to dismantle, too. Simply knife through them.

As for tracking personal information, phone conversations... That technology requires powered devices. :)

1. What is Superbooster™ cell phone booster fraud?

Superbooster™ cell phone booster fraud refers to the practice of selling fraudulent cell phone signal boosters under the brand name Superbooster™. These devices are marketed as being able to boost cell phone signal strength, but in reality, they do not work as advertised and are a scam.

2. How does Superbooster™ cell phone booster fraud work?

Superbooster™ cell phone booster fraud works by tricking customers into purchasing a device that claims to boost cell phone signal strength, but in reality, does nothing. These devices are often sold at a high price, making customers believe that they are getting a quality product. However, the fraudulent device is not capable of boosting cell phone signal and is essentially a useless piece of equipment.

3. How can I identify if a cell phone booster is a Superbooster™ fraud?

The best way to identify if a cell phone booster is a Superbooster™ fraud is to do thorough research before making a purchase. Look for reviews and customer experiences with the product. If there are multiple complaints about the device not working or being a scam, it is likely a Superbooster™ fraud. Additionally, be wary of purchasing from unknown or untrustworthy sellers.

4. Are there any consequences for using a Superbooster™ cell phone booster?

Using a Superbooster™ cell phone booster may not have any immediate consequences, but it is essentially a waste of money. These devices do not work as promised and are a scam. Additionally, using a fraudulent device could potentially interfere with cell phone signals and cause problems for other users.

5. What should I do if I have already purchased a Superbooster™ cell phone booster?

If you have already purchased a Superbooster™ cell phone booster, you should stop using it immediately. Contact the seller and request a refund. If the seller is unresponsive or refuses to give a refund, you can report the fraudulent activity to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or your local consumer protection agency. It is also important to warn others about the Superbooster™ fraud and the seller, so they do not fall victim to the scam.