Learn Fortran Programming: Tips & Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for help in writing fortran code and suggestions for resources such as a compiler and tutorial. The conversation also mentions that Fortran is a programming language commonly used for scientific computations since the 1950s.
Raja1986
Hi ,
i need help in writing fortran code.? can any suggest me best site or where to approach?

Technology news on Phys.org
wow fortran, may I ask what your working on?

Hey guys,

what is that fortran? i never heard that...is that also one of a programming language?

Yes, it's a programming language - one of the oldest, dating back to the 1950s, I believe.

ryxin said:
Hey guys,

what is that fortran? i never heard that...is that also one of a programming language?

Many scientific computations are done in Fortran..

1. What is Fortran programming?

Fortran is a high-level programming language used primarily for scientific and engineering applications. It was first developed in the 1950s and has since undergone several updates and revisions to make it more efficient and user-friendly.

2. Why should I learn Fortran?

Fortran is still widely used in the scientific community, particularly in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is also known for its speed and efficiency, making it a popular choice for large-scale computational tasks.

3. What are some tips for learning Fortran?

Some tips for learning Fortran include familiarizing yourself with the syntax and structure of the language, practicing regularly with coding exercises and projects, and seeking out online resources and tutorials for additional support.

4. Are there any resources available for learning Fortran?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning Fortran, including online tutorials, textbooks, and coding challenges. You can also join online communities or forums to connect with other Fortran programmers and ask for tips and advice.

5. Is Fortran still relevant in modern programming?

Yes, Fortran is still widely used in the scientific and engineering communities and continues to be updated and improved upon. Additionally, many legacy codes and programs are written in Fortran, making it a valuable skill for those looking to maintain or modify existing code.