Why is LaTeX malfunctioning when I type in equations?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: Now it seems all servers are up and running and pages load quickly.It looks like you are successfully migrating to MathJax.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
I keep typing things and getting not the things I typed in LaTeX. Am I the only one?

Look at what I'm typing here

[tex]AD = x^{2}+(4-2x)^{2} AD = x^{2}+(4-2x)+(4-2x) AD = 2x+(-2)+(-2) AD = 2x-4[/tex]

I'm getting

AD = 2x-4x

and I'm typing in LaTeX all of that (with the tex /tex function-- I believe that if you click "quote" you will see that):

AD = x^{2}+(4-2x)^{2} AD = x^{2}+(4-2x)+(4-2x) AD = 2x+(-2)+(-2) AD = 2x-4

-Or

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, something weird happened just now. The preview show something else. And now it corrected itself. Seriously, it's as though there's a delay with LaTeX or something.

Proof

Attachments

• proof.jpg
    proof.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 365
I guess you refer to known problem - preview doesn't show what it should show. Try reloading the page or just the picture. This has been discussed zillions of times, and it will not change till Greg decides to replace LaTeX engine.

Oh, sorry, I thought I'm special. My bad. :)

& Thanks!

Femme_physics said:
Oh, sorry, I thought I'm special. My bad. :)

& Thanks!

I'm glad you posted. I was just looking to see if others were having the same problems as me (like Greek letters being superscripted and previews show Latex I used in previous posts). Your post gave me a swift end to the search.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3030

Last edited by a moderator:
There's at least 20 threads about this. You could have found them e.g. by searching the feedback forum for threads with "latex" in the title.

Test: [tex]x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a} \quad \text{Quadratic Formula}[/tex]

I noticed that MathJax scripts are being called in the source; seems like still using the old LaTeX system for now...

jhae2.718 said:
I noticed that MathJax scripts are being called in the source; seems like still using the old LaTeX system for now...

I was tinkering but ran into an issue. I'm looking to phase in MathJax in June.

Sound good. Thanks for putting all the work into keep PF running!

Mathjax calls were a problem about 9 hours ago - now and then Opera was waiting for mathjax servers and in effect pages were loading quite slow.

1. What causes LaTeX to malfunction?

The most common cause of LaTeX malfunctioning is errors in the code, such as missing curly brackets or incorrect syntax. Other causes can include outdated packages or conflicts between packages.

2. How can I fix a LaTeX malfunction?

First, check your code for any errors or typos. If that doesn't solve the issue, try updating your packages or removing conflicting packages. If the problem persists, you can seek help from online forums or LaTeX support communities.

3. Why is my LaTeX document not compiling?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as errors in the code, missing packages, or a corrupted file. It's important to carefully check your code and make sure all necessary packages are included before attempting to compile again.

4. How do I troubleshoot a LaTeX error?

The first step is to carefully read the error message to determine the source of the issue. Then, try to isolate and fix the problem. If you're unable to solve it, you can seek help from online resources or LaTeX support communities.

5. Can using certain fonts or graphics cause LaTeX to malfunction?

Yes, some fonts or graphics may not be compatible with LaTeX and can cause malfunctions. It's important to always check the documentation and compatibility of any fonts or graphics before using them in your document.