Which maths courses are required for Physics?

In summary, a physics major would need to take differential equations and linear algebra. Complex analysis, PDEs, etc are nice but not required. PDEs is possibly worth taking in place of a physics elective.
PhizKid
The school I am looking to transfer to only requires up to Calculus III for a Physics degree, so I am considering not taking any more maths courses after that to make room for more Physics courses, and learn the maths on my own. What maths would be required for upper-level Physics courses? (Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Real/Complex Analysis, etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd advise taking differential equations and linear algebra. Complex analysis, PDEs, etc are nice but not required - I would not take them in place of physics courses. PDEs is possibly worth taking in place of a physics elective.

Does your physics department have a mathematical methods course?

Yes, I agree with Jorriss. Linear algebra and differential equations are crucial.
In addition, I would take a look at the following excellent book by Boas: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471198269/?tag=pfamazon01-20
It contains about all the math you need for most of physics. If you're going to self-study the math, then this book is excellent.

The school offers tons of advanced/upper-level maths courses - but I thought if I can just learn them all on my own since they are not required for the degree, it might not make a difference on my transcript.

I would consider it odd not to require at least differential equations in addition to calculus I-III. The physics department might teach a required "mathematical methods" course instead of requiring physics majors to take DE and linear algebra over in the math department.

Oh, it's possible I might have overlooked that requirement - but in any case, would Mathematical Methods/DE+Lin Alg be all that's necessary to complete the majority of Physics courses? Or would it be advisable to study even more advanced mathematics on my own to suit the more challenging modules (Solid State, Nuclear/Particle, Relativity, Advanced Quantum Physics, etc.)?

Micromass has mentioned the Mary Boas's text. Please look at that, because it contains practically all the mathematics you WILL need at most undergraduate level.

I've mentioned this text several times in many different threads, including my "So You Want To Be A Physicist" essay.

Zz.

What are the basic maths courses required for Physics?

The basic maths courses required for Physics include calculus, algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. These courses are necessary to understand the fundamental principles and equations of Physics.

Do I need to take advanced math courses for Physics?

It is highly recommended to take advanced math courses such as multivariable calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra for Physics. These courses will provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts used in Physics.

Can I skip certain math courses for Physics if I am not interested in them?

No, it is not advisable to skip any math courses for Physics. Each math course builds upon the concepts learned in the previous ones and is essential for understanding advanced physics concepts.

How important is it to have a strong math background for studying Physics?

A strong math background is crucial for studying Physics. Physics is a highly mathematical subject, and having a good understanding of math concepts will make it easier to understand and solve complex physics problems.

What are some online resources for learning maths courses required for Physics?

There are various online resources available for learning maths courses required for Physics, such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These websites offer free and comprehensive courses on various math topics relevant to Physics.