A Little Reminder and a Request

• News
  • Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Request
In summary, some members of P&WA are bitter and frustrated because of impending Presidential election. Self censorship is not against the freedom of speech, and less is more.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yep, we're closing in on another Presidential election here in the States! Tell-tale signs include PFers who are sweet and rational most of the time are now bitter and frustrated. Members can be seen storming out of P&WA, angry and with bruised feelings.

So...everyone take a deep breath, please!

My request: re-read the rules...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=113181

...and post here to acknowledge you did. This isn't a requirement, of course. I just want you all to follow o:) and ignore :devil:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're having an election? I hadn't heard...:tongue2:

Ryan_m_b said:
You're having an election? I hadn't heard...:tongue2:

Yeah that was the reminder :biggrin:!

lisab said:
So...everyone take a deep breath, please!

great thread Lisa, I just hope that everyone is really everyone.

I find this thread offensive and frankly will never come here again!

Yeah, I read it

Reluctant acknowledgment followed by forlorn sigh

Roger

Lisab: I think your request and reminder both are called for. Some have said more than they wanted to.

Combattants, remember:
-Concluding on non testable matters is difficult, scientifically.
-Self censorship doesn't violate the freedom of speech.
-Less is more

My favorite quote "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Meanwhile, I think this is worth a sticky, at least until after the elections

Alright, I agree to act civilized. But they have to do it first.

Trying to understand the system where you elect electors that will do the electing must be frustrating, no wonder people elect to behave the way they behave.

Read, and thanks for the reminder Lisa.

Also, even though it may feel like it, if your party doesn't win, its not really the end of the world, I promise. We have survived both Republican and Democrat governments before.

The least bitter thread on PW&A :rofl:

rootX said:
The least bitter thread on PW&A :rofl:

Perhaps reading the rules has a calming effect...

Vespa71 said:
-Self censorship doesn't violate the freedom of speech.

Oh! I did that the other day in the "Blasphemy" thread, before it was locked. I'd have received many an infraction for that blasphemous post.

:redface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeq2Utm0nU​

Last edited:
Borek said:
Trying to understand the system where you elect electors that will do the electing must be frustrating, no wonder people elect to behave the way they behave.
It's not a good system, Borek. The electors are not bound to vote the will of the people who voted in their districts. They can be "unfaithful" and bargain in back rooms to shoehorn a president into office, if they want, despite the preferences of the voters in their district. I should note that some states might bind the electors (I don't know), but the electors have a great deal of leeway to make deals.

...not that they ever do...

There have been some "faithless electors" who refused to vote for the candidate that they were supposed to vote for, about five in the last forty years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector

(if we go any further in this direction, we probably should have a separate thread about the Electoral College.)

Last edited:
For the record: I have re-read the rules here.

Furthermore, once I have elaborated some principle that has been discovered by my cult to be true, the discussion is over. If you disagree with that principle, then your reasoning is flawed. If you fail to correct your reasoning (accept the principle) then you are flawed. For such unreformed heretics excommunication is the final solution.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

What is "A Little Reminder and a Request" about?

"A Little Reminder and a Request" is a scientific article that discusses the importance of incorporating reminders into daily routines in order to improve memory and cognitive function. It also includes a request for further research on this topic.

What evidence supports the claims made in "A Little Reminder and a Request"?

The article cites various studies and experiments that have shown the effectiveness of reminders in improving memory and cognitive function. It also includes personal anecdotes and observations from the author.

How can incorporating reminders into daily routines be beneficial?

Including reminders in daily routines can help individuals remember important tasks and information, improve their focus and productivity, and potentially reduce stress and anxiety.

What are some possible areas for further research on this topic?

Some potential areas for further research include the long-term effects of using reminders, the most effective types of reminders for different individuals, and the potential use of technology in implementing reminders.

How can individuals incorporate reminders into their daily routines?

There are various ways to incorporate reminders into daily routines, such as setting alarms, using visual cues, creating to-do lists, or even asking a friend or family member to remind you of important tasks.