Brightest Explosion Ever Observed

In summary, scientists have detected a powerful flash of light from a neutron star called SGR 1806-20 in the constellation Sagittarius. This "giant flare" was the brightest ever detected from beyond the Solar System and was visible for over a tenth of a second. The explosion was not visible to the naked eye or in the optical light range. There is no need to worry about unseen neutron stars or future supernovas as they are rare and not close enough to cause any major harm.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Scientists have detected a flash of light from across the Galaxy so powerful that it bounced off the Moon and lit up the Earth's upper atmosphere. This "giant flare" was the http://www.everything-science.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=111&Itemid=2 ever detected from beyond the Solar System. For over a tenth of a second the remarkable flare was actually brighter than a full moon.

The neutron star that erupted is SGR 1806-20, about 50,000 light years from Earth in the constellation Sagittarius.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
... The neutron star...

I noticed last night on CNN that the news anchor called it a "neuron" star. :rolleyes:

Would this event have been visible to naked-eye observers?

DaveC426913 said:
Would this event have been visible to naked-eye observers?
No (I wish we could have).
It would have been impossible to see the explosion with the naked eye. It also was impossible for optical telescopes to spot because the blast was brightest in the gamma-ray range, not in the optical light range.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=3&u=/nm/20050218/sc_nm/space_explosion_dc

Last edited by a moderator:
here's the NASA link that omicron's newsitem gives
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/watchtheskies/swift_nsu_020 5.html

Brightest gamma ray burst within milky way

Let's hope there isn't a invisible magnetic neutron star circling a nearby star within 10 l/y... otherwise could be in big trouble:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0502/19grb/

Is there anything to rule out an unseen neutron star drifting the dark within say 10 - 20 l/y from the sun?

Eridanus1 said:
Is there anything to rule out an unseen neutron star drifting the dark within say 10 - 20 l/y from the sun?

Absolutely. At this point, we can see everything within 10-20 light years that's more massive than a planet...and even some of those are now detectable. Besides, the article says it:

"Fortunately, there are no magnetars anywhere near the earth."

What about stars that may go supernova within, says 1000 years from now? This if I recal can be dangerous on a very lage distance too no ? Have we ever looked at that possibility seriously ?

Mean-Hippy said:
What about stars that may go supernova within, says 1000 years from now? This if I recal can be dangerous on a very lage distance too no ? Have we ever looked at that possibility seriously ?

Yeah, though I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think this may be the most serious candidate for such an explosion:

http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/betelgeuse.html

I haven't seen precise calculations as to the impact of such an event, but it would likely be little more than a nuisance (frying instruments, maybe increasing cancer rates, etc.). If there were a gamma-ray burst in our galaxy (and pointed at us), there might be a little more cause for concern. These events are extremely rare, however.

Janitor said:
I noticed last night on CNN that the news anchor called it a "neuron" star. :rolleyes:

a neuron star would be a rather more historic and universe changing discovery! :rofl:

What is the "Brightest Explosion Ever Observed"?

The "Brightest Explosion Ever Observed" refers to a gamma-ray burst (GRB) that was detected by NASA's Swift satellite in 2008. It was the most powerful GRB ever recorded, releasing energy equivalent to about 9,000 supernovae.

What caused the "Brightest Explosion Ever Observed"?

The exact cause of the "Brightest Explosion Ever Observed" is still unknown. It is believed to have been triggered by the collapse of a massive star or the collision of two neutron stars. However, more research is needed to determine the exact cause.

How far away was the "Brightest Explosion Ever Observed"?

The "Brightest Explosion Ever Observed" occurred in a galaxy located about 7.5 billion light years away from Earth. This means that the explosion actually happened 7.5 billion years ago, and we are only now seeing the light from it reaching us.

What were the effects of the "Brightest Explosion Ever Observed"?

The effects of the "Brightest Explosion Ever Observed" were mainly limited to the area where it occurred. It is believed that the explosion created a new black hole, and also produced a jet of high-energy particles that traveled at nearly the speed of light.

Could a "Brightest Explosion Ever Observed" happen again?

Yes, it is possible for a "Brightest Explosion Ever Observed" to occur again. GRBs are rare events, but they are known to happen in the universe. Scientists continue to study these phenomena in order to better understand them and potentially predict when and where they might occur next.