Understanding Plank's Constant: Exploring the Smallest Measurement of Space

• Thread starter michojek
  • Start date
In summary: It's simply a scale at which quantum gravity effects are expected to dominate.In summary, the Planck Length is a theoretical figure, derived from fundamental constants of nature, and is considered to be the scale at which quantum gravity effects become important. It does not necessarily mean that space is discrete at this scale, and it is not the smallest distance possible.
michojek
Hello, I was just reading upon plank's constant and it was theoretically the 'smallest measurement' possible.

Does that mean that space itself follows this rule?
For example, you can't have an atom 'between' a plank distance..(like a grid where you can only have positions in the intersections of those lines)

So the smallest distance an object can you is a plank a time?

I'm just not sure if I have the right notion of plank length..

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
michojek said:
Hello, I was just reading upon plank's constant and it was theoretically the 'smallest measurement' possible.

Does that mean that space itself follows this rule?

Its not a rule, its a theoretical figure, 10^-35 meters, derived from fundamental constants of nature, such as the speed of light, c, Newton's gravitational constant, G, and Plancks constant, h. Some theoretical physicists truly believe its the fundamentally smallest unit of length, others are not so sure.

For example, you can't have an atom 'between' a plank distance..(like a grid where you can only have positions in the intersections of those lines)

Considering that an atom is many order of magnitude larger than the Planck length, as in perhaps 25, then, yes, you cannot have an atom between a Planck distance. However, that does not mean that there may be something, such as quantum "space-time foam," etc. that may do so.

So the smallest distance an object can you is a plank a time
?

I'm not sure what that sentence is supposed to mean, but there is indeed a Planck time, which has been derived similarly to the Planck length, and that figure is 10^-43 seconds.

michojek said:
You mean the Planck Length. Planck's constant is something else entirely.

The Planck Length, √(ħG/c3) is a length scale, not a precise value. It's roughly the distance at which the effects of quantum gravity are expected to become important. There is no implication that it's the "smallest" distance, or that space becomes a discrete lattice at that scale.

1. What is Plank's constant and why is it important?

Plank's constant, denoted by the symbol h, is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates a particle's energy to its frequency. It is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles at a microscopic level and plays a crucial role in many scientific calculations and theories.

2. How was Plank's constant discovered?

Plank's constant was discovered by Max Planck in 1900 while trying to explain the relationship between energy and frequency of electromagnetic radiation in blackbody radiation. He proposed that energy was quantized, meaning it could only exist in discrete amounts, and that the value of this quantization was equal to Plank's constant.

3. What are the units of Plank's constant?

Plank's constant has units of energy multiplied by time, such as joule-seconds or electron volt-seconds. It can also be expressed in terms of angular momentum (kilogram-meter squared per second) or frequency (joules per hertz).

4. How is Plank's constant used in modern science?

Plank's constant is used in many areas of modern science, including quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, and solid-state physics. It is a crucial component in calculations related to energy levels, wave-particle duality, and the uncertainty principle. It also plays a role in technology such as semiconductors and lasers.

5. Can Plank's constant ever change?

According to current scientific understanding, Plank's constant is a constant value and does not change. However, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that the value of Plank's constant may vary in different dimensions or universes. However, these ideas are still speculative and have not been proven.