N Body Problem (?) - Solar System Complexities

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a solar system for a series of stories. The system is based on habitable moons orbiting a giant planet which orbits a star. The issue at hand is the stability of the moons' orbits and whether a fourth moon can be introduced to counterbalance the system. Several gravity simulators are suggested, but it is warned that the moons' orbits may be unstable due to the sun's perturbations. The farthest known moon in our own solar system is used as a reference for determining realistic orbit periods. Ultimately, the design of the solar system is revised based on input from the conversation.
Ian J.
Hi,

This is my first post here, so if I make mistakes please be gentle with me.

I have a 'problem' with a solar system I'm developing for a series of stories I'm writing. Those stories have nothing to do with Earth, and are set in a system unlike our own.

To introduce the system, the premise for it is that instead of being 'just' planets round a star, the habitable worlds are more like moons around a giant planet which orbits a star. The moons have orbits that are quite long, not dissimilar to Earth years in length, and the masses of the three principal moons is not dissimilar to that of Earth.

The specific issue I have is one of what I believe relates to stability of orbits. It is my preference to put two of the moons at 180 degrees to each other orbiting the planet with the third on a Lagrange point. So Moon 1 would be between L1 and L2 (much as Earth is today in our system related to the Sun), Moon 2 would be opposite and practically on L3, but Moon 3 would be on L4 or as near as.

Now as I understand it, this produces an out-of-balance system that won't work according to physics, but what I wondered is could a fourth body Moon 4 be introduced to the system in such a way as to counteract the imbalance and allow Moons 1 and 3 to stay apart from each other and also not slip into balance by being at 120 degrees from each other?

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Note: it is my intention with my stories to try and keep away from erroneous physics where such physics are well known. I might have to stretch things a little bit when it comes to traveling around the galaxy/universe with regards to light speed, etc, but like many space opera writers I feel have little choice in that if I am to have an engaging stories that can appeal beyond the hard science fiction fans.

Cheers,

Ian J.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the links :)

Looking at the programs, it looks like Gravitation3D will likely be the best to use, or at least the most 'visually' useful. Now I just need to get to grips with how it works so I can work out what I'm trying to do.

Thanks again.

A word of warning. The sun's perturbations of their motions will almost be as large as the planet's pull on them. So watch out for instability.

That happens when the moons' orbit periods are almost as large as the planet's, and for the Lagrange points, they are exactly equal. In fact, L1, L2, and L3 orbits are always unstable, while L4 and L5 are stable only if the objects' masses are different enough.

If you want to do it empirically, you can find the orbit periods of the farthest moons with respect to their planets in the Solar System. I recall once doing so, and finding that the farthest moons are well within the planets' closest Lagrange points.

I worked it out. The farthest known moon of a planet relative to the planet's orbit period is Jupiter's moon S/2003 J 2. It orbits Jupiter with a period only 4 times less than Jupiter's around the Sun.

Many thanks for the replies. I've had to do quite a bit of rethinking of my solar system design, and co-orbital orbits are now discarded. Also, based on replies to the habitable zone thread I started, I've had to consider how large the orbits could realistically be, and come to the conclusion they are going to have be smaller than I originally intended. This now means I will have to undertake significant rewriting work as the moons' societies will be affected by the changes.

1. What is the N-body problem?

The N-body problem is a mathematical problem in which the motion of a group of celestial bodies, such as planets, moons, and asteroids, is determined by their gravitational interactions with each other. It is a complex problem that has been studied for centuries and still poses challenges for scientists.

2. How does the N-body problem relate to the solar system?

The N-body problem is particularly relevant in studying the complexities of the solar system. The gravitational interactions between the sun and the planets, as well as between the planets themselves, play a crucial role in determining the orbits and movements of celestial bodies in our solar system.

3. What makes the N-body problem so difficult to solve?

The N-body problem is difficult to solve because it involves a large number of bodies with complex and constantly changing interactions. Additionally, the equations used to describe these interactions become more and more complex as the number of bodies increases, making it challenging to find precise solutions.

4. What are some techniques used to model the N-body problem?

There are several techniques used to model the N-body problem, such as numerical integration, perturbation theory, and statistical methods. Each of these approaches has its advantages and limitations and is used depending on the specific problem being studied.

5. How does the N-body problem impact our understanding of the solar system?

The N-body problem is crucial in helping us understand the complexities of the solar system and how it has evolved over time. By studying the gravitational interactions between celestial bodies, scientists can make predictions about the past, present, and future of our solar system and gain insights into the formation and evolution of planets, moons, and other bodies.