How to determine the allowable delta max for a beam

In summary, determining the allowable delta max for a beam depends on the design code being used and the type of support the beam has. For cantilevered tubing, both shear and bending at the point of fixity must be considered. Codes may have deflection limits for various reasons, such as safety or practicality. For example, a platform may have a maximum deflection limit for psychological factors, even if it is structurally safe.
CWIL
I am struggling to remember how to determine the allowable delta max for a beam.

I am currently modeling the bending forces upon a piece of square tubing, and though developing delta max seems rather straight forward, I can not seem to remeber how to determine just how much deflection I am allowed in that beam.

Essentially... I have my delta max, but how do I know if that much deflection is OK in my design (failure due to Plastic Deformation)

Any input is appreciated

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen on another PF thread that 1" of deflection per every 250" of beam is an accepted approach. Is this accurate? What is the basis behind this estimation?

Thanks

Depending on the design code being used, there are several different rules of thumb like you cited in Post #2. However, most of these are for beams which are supported at both ends.

In order to check how much max. deflection is allowed before failure (which I don't recommend, since you should always have a factor of safety > 1) using tubing which is cantilevered, I think you must consider shear and bending at the point of fixity, since this is probably the most critical location in the entire beam. The bending is pretty straightforward, but shear stress calculation for closed sections is a little more complicated than for open sections.

As noted, codes may have deflection limits for a number of reasons, but I have often designed 100 foot long closed tapered multiple sided tubes with a whopping 10 foot deflection at the free end at max yield stress at the fixed end. But bear in mind that this is with a safety factor of about 2.5 for the max design load case (snow or ice and high winds ), so actual deflections for that case would be about four feet or so, for a design condition that is infrequent and of short duration. Actual everyday load without wind and ice might only be about 1 foot or so. I use a deflection limit of about 1 percent or so for that 'everyday ' typical load case.

Based on the application, you would have either a maximum permitted stress or a maximum permitted deflection.

People, for example, do not like walking on a platform that deflects too much, from psychological factor coming into play, even though the platform would be design safe from failure due to stress..

1. What is the allowable delta max for a beam?

The allowable delta max for a beam is the maximum amount of deflection or displacement that a beam can experience before it is considered unsafe or structurally compromised.

2. How is the allowable delta max determined for a beam?

The allowable delta max for a beam is determined by a combination of factors, including the material properties of the beam, the type of beam (e.g. cantilever, simply supported), the type of loading (e.g. point load, distributed load), and the desired safety factor.

3. What is the difference between allowable delta max and actual deflection?

The allowable delta max is the maximum amount of deflection that a beam can experience without compromising its structural integrity. Actual deflection is the amount of deflection that the beam actually experiences under a given load. The goal is to keep the actual deflection below the allowable delta max.

4. Can the allowable delta max be exceeded?

In general, it is not recommended to exceed the allowable delta max for a beam. Doing so can compromise the structural integrity and safety of the beam. However, there may be certain circumstances where a slightly higher deflection is acceptable, as determined by a professional engineer.

5. How can I calculate the allowable delta max for a beam?

The calculation of the allowable delta max for a beam can be complex and is typically done by professional engineers using advanced mathematical models and structural analysis software. It is not recommended for non-professionals to attempt to calculate the allowable delta max on their own.