(0.04)c(33.7-23.5)+(0.08)c(33.7-39.6) Find C

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Andrei316
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Sorry if the title is against the rules or anything, I just wanted to be specific as possible :P
1. Homework Statement

V1(Saltwater) = 40g = 0.04kg
V2(Hot-Saltwater) = 80g = 0.08kg
Ti(Saltwater) = 23.5oc
Ti(Hot-Saltwater) = 39.6oc
Tf = 33.7c

Question: A cup of 40g saltwater is at 23.5c & A cup of 80g saltwater is at 39.6c, Find the specific heat capacity of salt water. **I measured these myself because it was a mini-lab so the specific heat capacity might not be exactly 3.99x103J.

2. Homework Equations

I asked my grade 11 physics teacher and this could be solved by using QLOST + QGAINED and Q=mcΔT. I asked my friends and they couldn't figure it out too ;-;

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried using everything and did anything I could do ...but I still couldn't get the answer of 3.99x103J. I can easily figure it out if I was it was 2 different substances and at least one heat capacity, but finding only c because they are both salt water confuses me.
m1cΔT1 + m1cΔT1
(0.04)c(33.7-23.5)+(0.08)c(33.7-39.6)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Without a reference (known input heat or something with a known heat capactiance), the whole approach cannot work. You are comparing salt water with salt water.
 
mfb said:
Without a reference (known input heat or something with a known heat capactiance), the whole approach cannot work. You are comparing salt water with salt water.
Oh alright, yeah I just wanted to make sure it wasn't possible. My teacher does this thing when he tricks us to check if we actually do our work... it's really annoying but he does teach us why it's impossible and stuff like that. Thanks for your help and time :)