000webhost website upload didn't come out right

• PHP
  • Thread starter TheMacNerd
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has revised a website template and uploaded it to 000webhost.com, but encountered a problem where the website only displayed text with a white background instead of pictures and animations. They have tried editing the text file, but it did not solve the issue. When trying a different website template, they encountered the same problem. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that the css and javascript files were missing, causing the website to not display properly. Suggestions were made to use a tool called Fiddler to debug the issue and to check the paths and domains.
TheMacNerd
Hi,
I literally just revised a website template and tried uploading it to 000webhost.com (free website hosting) today, but it didnt come out right. There was supposed to be a bunch of pictures and animations, but it came out as just text with a white background. Is there a solution to this to make my website come out right? I tried editing the text file and that didnt seem to solve the problem. I need help on this. Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Either post the template here or post a link to it.

https://sienaprofessionalservicescom.000webhostapp.com/

Assuming the link in #3 is the site in question- it looks like all of the css files are missing. And also the javascript files.

For example, your main stylesheet returns a 404 error- https://sienaprofessionalservicescom.000webhostapp.com/css/style.css

TheMacNerd said:
I downloaded it just now to my desktop and unzipped the file 'balay.zip', which created a folder 'balay'. I dropped the folder into my 'Sites' folder on my Mac, which contains a copy of my website and can be served by a copy of Apache running on this machine. I opened a new tab in Firefox, entered the URL http://localhost/~jtbell/balay/ and the template's home page came right up. I can click to the other sample pages in the menu on the left. The animations work. To add a new page, I suppose I'd copy one of the existing pages and tinker with the text, change the image URLs to point to my own, add a link to the new page in the menu on each of the other pages, etc.

I expect that if I uploaded this folder to the 'public_html' folder of my web site, "alongside" my own stuff, I'd be able to access it via http://mydomain/balay/ . I might have to adjust the permissions on the files and folders, but I don't have to do it with my own stuff.

My own site is competely hand-coded, with really plain and simple HTML, CSS, PHP, and no animations etc. I have no experience with templates like this, but it seems to work "out of the box" for me.

Last edited:
Download a tool called Fiddler. It will help you debug issues like missing stylesheets. You can also right click on the page and hit "Inspect." This will bring up your Javascript console. Right off the bat I see

Refused to apply style from '<URL>' because its MIME type ('text/html') is not a supported stylesheet MIME type, and strict MIME checking is enabled.

That is telling you that Apache is not returning the correct thing. The fact that it's text/html means that it's probably serving you a default 404 HTML page. Check your paths and your domains.

1. Why is my website not uploading correctly on 000webhost?

There could be a few reasons for this issue. One common cause is that the file size of your website is too large for the hosting platform. 000webhost has a limit of 5MB for free accounts, so make sure your website is within this size limit. Another possibility is that there was an error during the upload process. Try re-uploading your website or contact 000webhost support for further assistance.

2. How can I fix broken images or links on my website after uploading to 000webhost?

If your images or links are not working on your website, it is likely that the file paths are incorrect. Double-check the file paths and make sure they match the location of your images or linked files on the server. If the issue persists, try re-uploading the files or contact 000webhost support for help.

3. I am unable to access my website after uploading it to 000webhost. What could be the problem?

If you are unable to access your website, it could be due to a few reasons. First, check that your website was uploaded to the correct directory on the server. Make sure the index file (index.html, index.php, etc.) is in the root directory. If your website is still not accessible, there may be an issue with the server or your domain name. Contact 000webhost support for further assistance.

4. Are there any restrictions on the types of files I can upload to 000webhost?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the types of files that can be uploaded to 000webhost. The hosting platform does not allow certain file types, such as executable files, to be uploaded for security reasons. Additionally, any files that violate the terms of service, such as copyrighted material, are not allowed. Make sure to review the terms of service before uploading your website.

5. Is there a limit on the number of files I can upload to 000webhost?

Yes, there is a limit on the number of files you can upload to 000webhost. Free accounts have a limit of 50,000 files, while premium accounts have a limit of 300,000 files. If you exceed this limit, you may encounter issues with your website. It is important to keep your file count within the limit to avoid any problems with your website.