Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

$1000 offer to the poor for sterilization

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=5886592&page=1

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ugh! Why not just fund birth control prescriptions instead of permanent sterilization? That's really all that's needed for those who don't want children, can't afford children, and can't afford birth control. Permanent sterilization DOES smack of eugenics, and also sends the message that nobody expects these people to ever get their lives together and get off welfare...at which time they might be able to afford kids and want them, but then are sterile.

Or, here's another crazy idea...a social support network for the kids to get them into school and to stay in school so they graduate and can get at least a halfway decent job and break the welfare cycle.

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    I'll get a vasectomy for $1000. If you all want to start a fund, feel free

5. Sep 25, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Go ahead and get one. When Lindsey Lohan approaches you to fertilize her the "old fashioned" way so she and her DJ girlfriend can have babies, you'll have a lot of chances to "try" until she smartens up and sends you to be tested to see if you have motile sperm. By then you'll have your own paparazzi stalkers.

6. Sep 25, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:devil:

Though, it would be a great bargain for a menopausal woman on welfare to take the $1000 and get her tubes tied...not like she's using them anyway.

7. Sep 25, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Gay men would be getting a bonus, too, if they didn't plan on procreating.

8. Sep 25, 2008 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Government sponsored birth control? Naw, that's liberal's misguided idea. Best to go in with a knife. That's god's way. :ironic smiley:

9. Sep 25, 2008 #8
    tested? is that a pun? Its funny if you think about it.

10. Sep 25, 2008 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It's easier said than done. My wife and daughter are helping a family friend who is a social worker. She's taken in twins (born when mom was 17 who barely finished 8th grade) and another child from two mothers who come from abusive (violent) families and have drug and alcohol abuse problems. Both mothers have been in treatment programs and have been given numerous supports. Both mothers are now pregnant again - despite restrictions on seeing boyfriends (e.g. no guys allowed to spend the night or visit their respective apartments).

11. Sep 25, 2008 #10
    NOBODY on this forum gets to say that they want one! We need more smart people...

12. Sep 25, 2008 #11
    no body? come on. I can think of at least four.

13. Sep 25, 2008 #12
    Who might those be? Though with your temperament perhaps it'd take you down a few notches...Ha ha.

14. Sep 25, 2008 #13
    I've already got a son, can I take advantage of the offer?

15. Sep 25, 2008 #14
    That's not fair. I'm not old enough yet :tongue:.

16. Sep 26, 2008 #15

Borek

It won't work. You have to be systematic with prescribed drugs, you have to remember to take them, you have to know how to take them. That's often a difficult task even for so called "educated" people. No idea how it looks in US but it would not surprise me if huge part of your students have no idea how these drugs should be used, at least that's nothing unusual here; needles to say those that ended their education earlier know even less.

Edit: mental note, don't answer before reading thread to the end. Basically Astro aims at the same problem.

17. Sep 26, 2008 #16

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yesterday I had my cat sterilized. Could I get, say, $500,- ?

18. Sep 26, 2008 #17
    better make that five.

19. Sep 26, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Didn't your mom ever tell you that doing the right thing is never easy? Besides, there's a difference between a support group and GOOD support.

How is telling 17 or 18 year olds not to have boyfriends visit going to work? That's the idiocy of so many of these programs; they don't take reality into account. If someone is already having kids they can't afford, and already having to give them up, it's pretty unrealistic to think they're going to stop having sex. It's also pretty unrealistic to think they can afford or even get to regular doctor's visits for birth control prescriptions, or to afford the prescription itself.

You're assuming these people WANT babies they can't take care of...if the only obstacle is affording the birth control (which is not just the prescription, but the doctor visits that need to accompany it, and the transportation to the doctor), even if only half of them followed through, that would be that many fewer babies being raised on government funds.

There are also birth control options that do NOT require taking a daily pill...things like Depo Provera. Once a month injection. For women who have already had a baby and don't want any more, there are things like Mirena (it's labeled only for use in women who have given birth at least once...I've never found out exactly why, but I suspect it might have to do with uterine size). Fairly new to the US market (I don't know if it's been available abroad sooner, but it was in clinical trials back 15 years ago...might have just taken this long to get through the full pipeline) is the Nuva Ring. None of these require taking a pill every day, work from 1 month (Depo Provera and Nuva Ring) to 5 years (Mirena) and are all fully reversible, with no worse side effects than the pill (Mirena may have less, and Depo can be prescribed to those who have problems with blood clots when taking the estrogenic pills).

20. Sep 26, 2008 #19

Borek

No, I am not assuming anything. All I am stating is that for some people birth control will not work, because it requires some level of sophistication and thinking, and these are things that they simply don't have.

Been maried for over 20 years, and we have been through many options, including intrauterine dvices, so I am pretty well informed. Still, they don't work forever. My wife works at school, she is not a teacher, she mostly deals with "difficult cases" - wide spectrum from ADHD to kids from social margin families. You will not believe in the level of irresponsibility some people show. That's the sad reality you have referred to in your post.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that $1000 option is a good solution, it is just obvious for me what are limitations of other ideas.

21. Sep 26, 2008 #20

Art

Maybe pay them a lesser amount to have something like Implanon implanted which prevents pregnancy for 3 years leaving their options open for the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?