1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1d potential and switching between operators

1. Nov 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    As a group we're stuck on this as a result of the lecturer saying that he wouldn't help us because we should work as a group and find other ways other than asking him about it. Which is fair enough - but none of us understand whats going on!

So far I have tried substituting in for p in the middle of the bracket with -ihd/dx and then used the commutation relationship to try substituting ih for xp - px, but this seems to leave me being nowhere.

I also tried starting with the bracket having H in the middle and substituting for that - this kind of left me with a bracket with p in the middle and one with x in the middle, but whilst this kind of left things in a format that almost looked correct the two brackets were not equal to one another, only additive.

Could anyone suggest a starting point to look at or just any other helpful information that I may have missed when rereading my notes.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2008 #2
    Well, have you calculated [x,H]?

Then you can calculate <n|[x,H]|n'> in two different ways: equating the two answers gives you the desired result.
  4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    No I hadn't - I thought that was to do with the second part of the question.

I shall give that a go now!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?