1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1st Order Nonlinear equation - Control

1. Jul 11, 2008 #1
    Hello everybody,

I've come cross the following first order nonlinear equation when trying to solve
    for the speed of an electrical motor at any given time t during motor start.

y'=-(ay^2)+bx+c ; y(0)=0 ; a, b and c are constants; y=motor speed; x= time

The Motor Starter uses a linear Torque control and the load exhibits a quadratic
    dependence of the motor speed. I am sure there is a possibility of solving this analitically.
    I've tried changing variables, reduction and using substitution with no success. Maybe I
    am missing something or haven't found the right substitution...Any ideas? I'll appreciate
    any help on this.

Daniel.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I plugged it into Maple, and there is indeed a closed form solution. But it's a complicated mess of Airy functions, so I don't think there's a "silver bullet" substitution that's going to make this nice for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?