1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2.89 current GPA from good college?

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    I'm an undergrad at RPI and I currently have a 2.89 GPA. I'm a senior so I'm currently applying for jobs. Haven't gotten any replies so far. I majored in Bioinformatics. Is it possible for me to get a job in this field? I will only have a 2.99 by the time I graduate and I think by that time, all the jobs will be filled anyway. How bad is a 2.89? Will I be able to get a job? What about grad school? Would I be able to get a job with a 2.99?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2
    I'm not sure if this is exactly the right forum, most people here are geared towards physics and/or math. Some places care about GPA, some are not terribly concerned about it so long as you have the skills they desire.

With regards to grad school, I only know about physics grad school from reading about it (I am still an undergrad) and know nothing about bio, bioinformatics, etc. If it is anything like physics grad school, most schools will not consider you if you have less than 3.0.

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    Thanks. When you say 3.0, is that 3.0 or 3.00? do they round anything above 2.95 to a 3.0?

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Each school makes its own determinations, but I wouldn't count on them rounding 2.96 to 3.0. (Or, for that matter, rounding 2.6 to 3).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook