Reviving GPA: From 2.8 to 3.4 in 4 Years

  • Thread starter Thread starter DBTS
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gpa Years
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
DBTS
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
After the end of this semester my GPA will be at a 2.8... I know what happened, for about two years, I did not know what I wanted to do in terms of a degree, wasting time with various elective-based classes until I figured out what I wanted. In the meantime of wasting time, I procrastinated a lot and basically did not do some of the work or none of it at all, instead showed up for exams. In any case, I have about 4 more years left as I finally decided on a major whilst taking none of the class' associated with the major.

I am wondering if I can boost that GPA up towards a possible 3.4 or .5? Also would my record hurt my chances of getting in even if I were to boost the GPA up? Over these past few years I have grown up basically and have opted for a change in priorities with no more parting, girls, etc...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have 2 years of B's and C's and all of a sudden 4 years of A's, graduate programs are not stupid, they'll know you're an A student and not a C student. You can definitely get up beyond a 3.4 if you do exceptional in all your courses. Just don't let the bad habits come back :)
 
If you do well enough in your chosen major in terms of GPA it should make up (mostly) for past indiscretions.
 
Pengwuino said:
If you have 2 years of B's and C's and all of a sudden 4 years of A's, graduate programs are not stupid, they'll know you're an A student and not a C student.

True, but to get the A's you need to make sure that you understand the foundations. It may be a good idea to retake a course or two. You wouldn't want to be getting C's and D's not because you aren't working hard enough now, but because you weren't working hard enough then.
 
DBTS said:
I am wondering if I can boost that GPA up towards a possible 3.4 or .5?

With a little bit of 8th grade math, you could have figured this out on your own. If you're planning on going into a science, you should consider at least making an attempt.

Assuming you take twice as many credits in 4 years as you already have taken in 2 years, your maximum grade is a 3.60.