Best physics school i can get into with my current GPA/SAT score

In summary, Bryce is looking into a few different colleges to attend, but is most interested in Penn State and Pitt. He is waiting to raise his GPA before applying, and is considering WVU as well.
BryceUnderwood
I currently have a GPA of 3.3 and my sat scores are 680-math, 610-reading, 560-writing. I'm pretty set on going for physics undergrad and going straight to grad school for my PHD but I'm open to suggestions. Any college that isn't really really far away from Pennsylvania but I'm definitely open to leaving the state.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Bryce,
I would like to first know if you are a Senior or Junior? If you are a junior I recommend that you should try to get both your GPA and Test scores up if your planning on going on to a highly selective science institution(I say this because most of the 'Best Physics schools' are extremely hard to get in to). I would recommend any state schools which have tech or science as their "thing", that will most likely guarantee you a great physics program and with your current scores you may have a better shot at them. If you would like I can recommend some but I suggest you do some research for yourself. Also I should note that there are many smaller Liberal Arts & Science colleges that have amazing science programs as well.

- Sensatus

Everything Sensatus is true.

Depending on the rest of your resume, you should definitely apply to both Pitt and Penn State. They both have respectable programs. If you can't get into them, then you could do a quick search of top 100 schools in physics on US news will give a large amount of state schools with expected tuition rates for each school, and take your pick from those.

You could also do a year at a community college to get good grades in college level courses, which will get you into Pitt pretty easily as long as you have around a 3.5 at that community college (It's what I did). Taking Calculus 1 and 2 with your intro physics courses will look good. It's actually easier to get into a lot of schools once you've been to a community college rather than applying straight out of high school.

Don't sleep on WVU either. They're better than you might think.

Last edited:
PhotonSSBM said:
Depending on the rest of your resume, you should definitely apply to both Pitt and Penn State.

When I was a grad student at Michigan c. 1980, I had classmates from both Pitt (my roommate for several years, in fact) and Penn State. So they're both definitely decent programs.

I just want to interject that while of course you want to go to a "good" school, it is WAY less important how "good" the school is compared to:
- How good a fit is it for YOU?
- Do they connect SIGNIFICANT numbers of students with actual work experiences like internships/summer jobs?
- Do they really help you? Keep track of how you are doing academically? OR are you just left to flounder by yourself, with some professor glancing at your proposed schedule and saying "OK"
- How are their job placement results?

You might also consider European institutions due to costs.

Likes Sensatus
Sensatus said:
Hey Bryce,
I would like to first know if you are a Senior or Junior? If you are a junior I recommend that you should try to get both your GPA and Test scores up if your planning on going on to a highly selective science institution(I say this because most of the 'Best Physics schools' are extremely hard to get in to). I would recommend any state schools which have tech or science as their "thing", that will most likely guarantee you a great physics program and with your current scores you may have a better shot at them. If you would like I can recommend some but I suggest you do some research for yourself. Also I should note that there are many smaller Liberal Arts & Science colleges that have amazing science programs as well.

- Sensatus

I'm currently a senior. I have been looking at Penn state, Pitt, and also Ohio State. I know I won't be getting into any top schools like Harvard and other amazing institutions. I'm waiting until the end of the 9 week period to try and raise my GPA up even higher.

Head_Unit said:
- How good a fit is it for YOU?
- Do they connect SIGNIFICANT numbers of students with actual work experiences like internships/summer jobs?
- Do they really help you? Keep track of how you are doing academically? OR are you just left to flounder by yourself, with some professor glancing at your proposed schedule and saying "OK"
- How are their job placement results?

You might also consider European institutions due to costs.
I completely agree with this and I really think you should think about institution outside the US, other then that I think its up to you to find the place that suits you best, and to make the most of it.

Sensatus said:
I completely agree with this and I really think you should think about institution outside the US, other then that I think its up to you to find the place that suits you best, and to make the most of it.
What are some universities outside the U.S. that I should start to look into?

BryceUnderwood said:
What are some universities outside the U.S. that I should start to look into?

I suggest reading through this it has some college suggestions

There many public schools which are less selective for undergrad which have really top notch physics/other science grad programs. Rutgers is on your area and has a great program, so do Penn state and Maryland. Farther away there is also Boulder.

Sensatus said:
I suggest reading through this it has some college suggestions
Is the University of Akron's physics undergrad program good? I definitely plan on going to at least Penn State Main for Grad school and if i get into them for undergrad that's where I would go. When I apply to Penn state main I'm going to apply for the summer program too so that i have a better chance of getting in.

What is considered a "good" GPA and SAT score for admission into a top physics school?

This can vary depending on the specific school, but generally a GPA of 3.5 or higher and an SAT score of at least 1400 (out of 1600) are considered competitive for top physics programs.

Can a high GPA compensate for a lower SAT score or vice versa?

It is possible for a high GPA or SAT score to compensate for a lower score in the other area, but it ultimately depends on the admissions criteria of the specific school. Some schools may place more emphasis on one over the other, so it's important to research the requirements of each school you are interested in.

Are there any other factors besides GPA and SAT score that top physics schools consider for admission?

Yes, while GPA and SAT score are important, top physics schools also consider factors such as letters of recommendation, extracurricular activities, research experience, and personal statements. These can all play a role in the admissions decision.

Is it possible to get into a top physics school with a lower GPA or SAT score if I have exceptional research experience or other strengths?

Yes, it is possible. Top physics schools often consider a holistic view of each applicant and may be willing to overlook a lower GPA or SAT score if the applicant demonstrates exceptional research experience, strong letters of recommendation, or other notable strengths.

What can I do to improve my chances of getting into a top physics school with my current GPA and SAT score?

Aside from continuing to maintain a high GPA and studying for the SAT to potentially improve your score, you can also focus on building a strong resume by participating in research opportunities, taking challenging courses, and getting involved in extracurricular activities related to physics. Additionally, working on your personal statement and securing strong letters of recommendation can also improve your chances of admission.