1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses 2 Math Classes Simultaneously in the Summer?

1. Aug 24, 2016 #1
    My school offers both Elementary Differential Equations and Probability Theory in an 8-week summer session every year. Both of these classes are undergraduate prerequisites for the graduate program I'm applying to, and I anticipate that I'll basically need to take both of these courses simultaneously in the 2017 summer session in order to begin graduate school in the Fall 2017 semester. Is it sensible and possible for me to do this? I really don't want to wait another year to enter graduate school, and because I'm taking the prerequisite for both of these classes the spring 2017 semester immediately preceding the summer session, I can't take the classes any earlier. Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's not much overlap, mathematically speaking, between elementary ODEs and probability theory. The latter relies a little on integration, and the former is more complex, from a math standpoint.

I am surprised that you have omitted ODEs until so late in your undergrad career. There is a lot of material to cover in 8 weeks (ODEs are usually done as a semester course).

4. Aug 24, 2016 #3
    \
    Thank you for your response.

Having to take ODE so late in my undergraduate career wasn't by design; without going into detail, a combination of bad luck, unexpected problems beyond my control, and my own personal mistakes brought me to this point. However, the past is the past, and dwelling on it at this point won't change anything for the better. Accordingly, thank you for your insights into taking ODE in an 8 week session.

Obviously, I realize it's not going to be a piece of cake, but if I'm willing to work hard, do you think it's doable?

5. Aug 24, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It can be done, but there's a lot of material to cover. It's important not to fall behind, especially if you are taking probability theory at the same time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted