Taking CS intro class after taking more advanced class

• Courses
  • Thread starter SphericalCow
  • Start date
SphericalCow
I'm thinking about taking an intro to CS course, but I've already taken a more advanced software development class. The intro to CS class is considered an advisory course to the software course I already took and got an A in.

The last time I coded was two years ago when I took the software class. I could really use the practice at a beginning level, and some of the subjects are new to me. This is the last semester before I transfer from a community college. Will there be any repercussions to doing this for internships / REUs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the curricula for the two classes? It's hard to believe that the intro class will be useful if you already got an A in the follow-on class.

Do you have any other class choices that you could take instead to better prepare you for the next 2 years? Say, a class in Data Structures, or Compilers, or Object-Oriented Programming, etc.?

Likes DaveE
What does your advisor say? There may be a better alternative.

You also might not find as much coding practice as you think, depending on how the class is taught. Or the area of coding may not line up. ("I really need more work on pointers" "We won't be covering pointers in this class." "Oh, fudge.")

berkeman said:
Can you post the curricula for the two classes? It's hard to believe that the intro class will be useful if you already got an A in the follow-on class.

Do you have any other class choices that you could take instead to better prepare you for the next 2 years? Say, a class in Data Structures, or Compilers, or Object-Oriented Programming, etc.?

Intro CS Topics (the class I want to take, advisory to the next classes)

• Procedural versus object-oriented programming. Survey of current languages.
• Program design tools and programming environments.
• Documentation.
• Coding conventions.
• Data types, variables, expressions, sequential processing.
• Arrays Declaring and allocating arrays.
• Control Structures Selective structures: if and switch, Repetitive structures: loops.
• Algorithms such as simple sorting and searching.
• Passing parameters by value and by reference.
• Principles of testing and designing test data.

Software Engineering Topics (The class I took)
  1. Learn a new language, Java syntax and programs
    1. basic program structure: main object
    2. variables, primitive types: storing data in local memory
    3. strings and arrays: groupings of values
    4. conditionals: directing the flow
    5. loops: repetition
    6. methods: functions in objects
    7. Exception HandlingLinks to an external site.
  2. Learn about algorithms and perform them in Java
  3. Learn about objects
    1. reference types
    2. methods
    3. introduction to object inheritance
Cloud Databases (a different class I can take, advisory of the intro to CS class)
"Presents essentials of query and database technologies for software developers. Students learn both SQL and NoSQL languages. Best-practices for database management and security are defined. Principles are applied by performing exercises to create and fill tables, retrieve and manipulate data, perform data analysis."

My problem is I don't feel like I'm ready to tackle more advanced CS courses, even though I did well in the software engineering class I took two years ago. An analogy might be if I did well in a calculus-based physics class, but I memorized equations instead of the problem-solving principles. Taking the intro class would help me remedy my knowledge of basic CS principles, and I'll supplement it by working through "Numerical Methods for Physics" by Garcia Alejandro in my free time. This way, I'll still be advancing in my ability to program, but I can remedy the foundations, the same way a student in physics might fix a weak calculus or algebraic background.Based on my previous experience, I'd rather seek advice from this forum than my advisor. I'm planning on majoring in physics and minoring in CS.

The first class looks like fluff compared to the 2nd, but both seem pretty basic. I still ask about more useful classes like these:
berkeman said:
Data Structures, or Compilers, or Object-Oriented Programming
Are they available to you yet?

Likes Vanadium 50 and dlgoff
berkeman said:
Other class options are available online through different colleges. This includes an equivalent class to the software engineering course I took or an introduction to Python. I do not fulfill the prereqs to take the classes you mentioned at different colleges and they are unavailable at my own.

My college does offer a course in Discrete Structures (this class has no programming).
Discrete Structures
"Develops and analyzes structures of computer science: numbers, sets, relations, functions and trees. This course includes propositional and predicate logic, applications of predicate logic: preconditions, postconditions, invariants, guards; inductive proofs; applications to verification of algorithms; introduction to complexity of algorithms."

Are you suggesting I take a different course because the intro class would be a waste of time, or do you think it would be harmful to have on my transcript?

Yeah, that class in Discrete Structures looks to be more fluff to me. I'd recommend taking the Python class, since that's directly applicable to your Physics aspirations. Enjoy the ride! :smile:

Likes dlgoff
berkeman said:
Yeah, that class in Discrete Structures looks to be more fluff to me. I'd recommend taking the Python class, since that's directly applicable to your Physics aspirations. Enjoy the ride! :smile:
Sounds good, I’ll register for it. I would also like to have access to a CS professor on my campus, would there be any repercussions to taking the intro class for that purpose?

SphericalCow said:
I'm thinking about taking an intro to CS course, but I've already taken a more advanced software development class. The intro to CS class is considered an advisory course to the software course I already took and got an A in.

The last time I coded was two years ago when I took the software class. I could really use the practice at a beginning level, and some of the subjects are new to me. This is the last semester before I transfer from a community college. Will there be any repercussions to doing this for internships / REUs?
Maybe some "repercussions" for trying to enroll into the introductory course, but the way you described your situation, I am on your side. The rest is for you to tell what you can and hope to be allowed to enroll into that introductory course.

SphericalCow said:
Sounds good, I’ll register for it. I would also like to have access to a CS professor on my campus, would there be any repercussions to taking the intro class for that purpose?
In fact I was in a situation generally like what you described, but it was way way way outside of any science or technology or engineering courses. It was a humanities type of course. I had no trouble getting into the courses I wanted, AS LONG AS the desired courses were not yet closed (due to lack of adequate quantity of students enrolling into them). Also, I was able to choose alternatives to regular university enrollment/admission.

symbolipoint said:
Maybe some "repercussions" for trying to enroll into the introductory course, but the way you described your situation, I am on your side. The rest is for you to tell what you can and hope to be allowed to enroll into that introductory course.
I’m enrolled in the class, but I want to make sure people aren’t going to look at my transcript and think “I sure don’t want this guy in my lab”

SphericalCow said:
I’m enrolled in the class, but I want to make sure people aren’t going to look at my transcript and think “I sure don’t want this guy in my lab”
If your intention is to major in physics, I do not see any harm in taking the intro CS class as a refresher so that you will feel better prepared for more advanced CS courses.

The only caveat is if the intro CS class you take will cover material you already know, and thus a waste of your time. But that is a risk that you will need to weigh on your own.

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint
SphericalCow said:
One may guess that those who look at your transcripts would not make that interpretation; but instead are more interested in what courses you did pass, what grades you earned, and what skills you truly have.

SphericalCow said:
people aren’t going to look at my transcript and think “I sure don’t want this guy in my lab”
There are all sorts of things on transcripts: "A history of 17th century tap dancing". "Caponizing for fun and profit". "Introductory Elvish". I wouldn't worry about it.

(Note to the humor-impaired. Only one of these classes is real, but it is not offered in 2023-4)

• Haha
Likes StatGuy2000
Vanadium 50 said:
There are all sorts of things on transcripts: "A history of 17th century tap dancing". "Caponizing for fun and profit". "Introductory Elvish". I wouldn't worry about it.

(Note to the humor-impaired. Only one of these classes is real, but it is not offered in 2023-4)
Darn! I was hoping to learn how to caponize and have fun doing it! :oldbiggrin:

(And note to the humour-impaired: (1) I know what the word "caponize" means! (2) I suspect I know which class was real, but I will leave others to guess which it is.)

Last edited: