2 Questions, regarding closure

• Thread starter rbzima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    closure
In summary, the conversation discusses proving properties related to rational and irrational numbers. The first question states that if a and b are rational numbers, then their product and sum are also rational. The second question states that if a is rational and t is irrational, then their sum and product are integers. However, it is pointed out that the statement is false unless it is specified that exactly one of the numbers is irrational. The key to solving these problems is to do the algebra and verify the results.
rbzima
1. Show that if [tex]a, b \in \textbf{Q}[/tex], then [tex]ab[/tex] and [tex]a + b[/tex] are elements of [tex]\textbf{Q}[/tex] as well.

2. Show that if [tex]a \in \textbf{Q}[/tex] and [tex]t \in \textbf{Q}[/tex], then [tex]a + t \in \textbf{I}[/tex] and [tex]at \in \textbg{I}[/tex] as long as [tex]a \neq 0[/tex].

I'm just a little shady on showing these properties, so if someone could give me a little reminder, that would be swell. It's been a few years since I've taken an Algebra course.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What definitions do you have? With the usual definition of Q: numbers that can be written as a fraction m/n with denominator n not 0, it should be as simple as "if a and b are in Q, then a= m/n, b= p/q for some integers m, n, p, q with m and q not 0. Then a+ b= m/n+ p/q= mq/nq+ np/nq= (mq+ np)/nq- a fraction with numerator and denominator both integers and denominator not 0".

I assumed that Q mean "the set of rational numbers" because that is the standard notation. I should then assume that I is "the set of all integers" but then question (2) is clearly impossible! The statement you are asked to prove is simply not true. For example, if a= 1/2 and t= 1/3, a+ t= 1/2+ 1/3= 5/6 which is obviously not an integer! Similarly, at= 1/6 which is not an integer.

Is it possible that you have mis-stated the questions?

HallsofIvy said:
What definitions do you have? With the usual definition of Q: numbers that can be written as a fraction m/n with denominator n not 0, it should be as simple as "if a and b are in Q, then a= m/n, b= p/q for some integers m, n, p, q with m and q not 0. Then a+ b= m/n+ p/q= mq/nq+ np/nq= (mq+ np)/nq- a fraction with numerator and denominator both integers and denominator not 0".

I assumed that Q mean "the set of rational numbers" because that is the standard notation. I should then assume that I is "the set of all integers" but then question (2) is clearly impossible! The statement you are asked to prove is simply not true. For example, if a= 1/2 and t= 1/3, a+ t= 1/2+ 1/3= 5/6 which is obviously not an integer! Similarly, at= 1/6 which is not an integer.

Is it possible that you have mis-stated the questions?

I is the set of irrational numbers. I'm assuming that the second can be proved by contradiction once the first is proven. Essentially, assume that a is rational and t is rational, so when I break it, it's ultimately showing that either a or t is irrational.

rbzima said:
I is the set of irrational numbers. I'm assuming that the second can be proved by contradiction once the first is proven. Essentially, assume that a is rational and t is rational, so when I break it, it's ultimately showing that either a or t is irrational.

2 is trivially false if both a, and t belong to the rationals. You must mean that exactly one of them belongs to the irrationals in which case it is true.

d_leet said:
2 is trivially false if both a, and t belong to the rationals. You must mean that exactly one of them belongs to the irrationals in which case it is true.

It's simple to show rational numbers in terms of ratios, yet there are infinitely many irrational numbers that can't be shown as irrationals. What then would you suggest? I know from the first one that the rationals are closed under addition and multiplication, yet when dealing with irrationals it seems as though it's crossing into unknown territory.

rbzima said:
It's simple to show rational numbers in terms of ratios, yet there are infinitely many irrational numbers that can't be shown as irrationals. What then would you suggest? I know from the first one that the rationals are closed under addition and multiplication, yet when dealing with irrationals it seems as though it's crossing into unknown territory.

Did you miss the point of my post entirely? My point is that you say in your first post that both a and t are rational but want to show that a+t and at are irrational. Do you see why this is impossible? So again it must be that exactly one of a and t is irrational in order for 2 to be true.

the key to these problems is to actually do the algebra.

if you have a=m/n and b=p/q, actually add and multiply them symbolically to verify for yourself that the results are again rational.

the second problem is a little different. as d_leet pointed out you meant for t to be irrational, otherwise the statement is false. for this problem a + t = b. if you let b be rational, what absurd conclusion does this imply.

matticus said:
the key to these problems is to actually do the algebra.

if you have a=m/n and b=p/q, actually add and multiply them symbolically to verify for yourself that the results are again rational.

the second problem is a little different. as d_leet pointed out you meant for t to be irrational, otherwise the statement is false. for this problem a + t = b. if you let b be rational, what absurd conclusion does this imply.

Well, obviously that t must also be rational, which is again obviously false. Thanks bro!

1. What is closure in science?

Closure in science refers to the concept of completing or finishing a scientific experiment or investigation by reaching a conclusion or finding an answer to a research question. It involves analyzing and interpreting data, making connections to previous research, and drawing conclusions based on the results.

2. Why is closure important in the scientific process?

Closure is important in the scientific process because it allows scientists to validate their findings and ensure that their results are reliable and accurate. It also helps to establish a solid foundation for future research and advancements in the field.

3. How do scientists determine if they have achieved closure in their research?

Scientists determine if they have achieved closure in their research by carefully analyzing and interpreting their data, considering alternative explanations, and discussing their findings with other experts in the field. They may also conduct further experiments or studies to confirm their results.

4. Can closure be achieved in all scientific investigations?

No, closure may not be achieved in all scientific investigations. Some experiments may yield inconclusive or unexpected results, leading to further questions and the need for continued research. In these cases, closure may not be possible until more evidence is gathered and analyzed.

5. What are the potential implications of not achieving closure in a scientific study?

If closure is not achieved in a scientific study, the results may be considered unreliable or inconclusive. This can hinder the progress of scientific knowledge and may lead to incorrect assumptions or conclusions being drawn. It is important for scientists to strive for closure in their research to ensure the accuracy and validity of their findings.