2012 Olympic Logo May Cause Seizures.

• Thread starter edward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, the logo for the 2012 Olympics may be linked to photo sensitvity disorder. It is apparently ugly and causes seizures in some people.
edward
It is apparently linked to photo sensitvity disorder.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=3254822&page=1

BEEEEEE careful if you have pototsenstivity disorder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joJnFSnsmG8&NR=1

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether it can cause seizures or not, it's a terrible logo!

I didn't care for it at all. It was really rather boring.

Not sure why the logo itself would cause seizures, though perhaps the changing colors and sizes in the way it's presented in the youtube clip might. Nonetheless, I agree with cristo that it's pretty horrible in it's own right...UGLY! It just looks like a jumble of shapes with no purpose.

That reminds me of a story that happened few years ago in Japan, when kids watching cartoon aired on TV had seizures. I think there was a sequence of flashing red that was the source of problems.

And logo is ugly. Neither 2012, neither olympic, neither London.

As a person with epilepsy, I will anecdotally confirm that that logo hurts my brain. If someone forced me to look at that thing for more then a few seconds, I would get dizzy and sick!

It did make me a big uneasy. Mostly it's a terrible logo, I hope they change it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It did make me a big uneasy. Mostly it's a terrible logo, I hope they change it.

It's a government employee who made it. He might not have enough time to change before the Olympics begin! :bugeye:

That's so ugly. Red signifies the color of Chinese flag, yellow the color of the stars, and five separated polygons the number of stars. And it does cause some dizziness, I couldn't stare at it for long.

It's a communist symbol on steroids.

Crosson said:
As a person with epilepsy, I will anecdotally confirm that that logo hurts my brain. If someone forced me to look at that thing for more then a few seconds, I would get dizzy and sick!

Just the logo? Or the video version where it's moving? Interesting if the logo itself does it. I wonder why then. Is there some optical effect of all the jagged edges that those of us without such disorders aren't sensitive to?

JasonRox said:
It's a government employee who made it. He might not have enough time to change before the Olympics begin! :bugeye:

:rofl: I was really slow on the uptake for this one...at first I thought you missed the point that it was for the 2012 Olympics, then SLOOOOOWLY (like a government employee at work) it finally sunk in that you did understand that. :biggrin: :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Just the logo? Or the video version where it's moving? Interesting if the logo itself does it. I wonder why then. Is there some optical effect of all the jagged edges that those of us without such disorders aren't sensitive to?

I only looked at the still logo, I did not want to expose myself to the video. I would describe the optical effect as similar to what most people are purported to see in a optical illusion like the following:

http://www.loop.ph/twiki/pub/Openloop/OpticalIllusion/optical-illusion-wheels-circles-rotating.png"

It is as if I see motion while my brain tries to sort out the strange shape of that 2012 olympic logo. The difference between the logo and the optical illusion I linked to (for which I seem to have as much tolerance as a normal person) is that the motion with the olympic logo is irregular. I do find it a bit strange, since I enjoy many of Picasso's works e.g. cubism.

I want to point out that strobe lights, and strange shapes with strange colors, have no analogies in the natural world. Whenever I feel like I am under a visual assault from all these modern hideosities I can take a hike in the wilderness and recover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Y'know, it ONLY just dawned on me that the logo is actually supposed to read 2012. I thought it was just random zigzags...wondering why they had so many z's in it! :bugeye:

That is absolutely hideous.

Borek said:
That reminds me of a story that happened few years ago in Japan, when kids watching cartoon aired on TV had seizures. I think there was a sequence of flashing red that was the source of problems.

And logo is ugly. Neither 2012, neither olympic, neither London.

You're thinking of Pokemon. The eyes of one of the critters had some weird sparkle or something like that. Anyway, it was only a few kids, but people panicked and took their kids to the doctor anyway.

1. What is the 2012 Olympic Logo?

The 2012 Olympic Logo is the official emblem of the 2012 Summer Olympics, held in London, England. It features abstract shapes and bold colors, representing the dynamic and diverse nature of the Olympic Games.

2. How could the logo cause seizures?

The logo was designed with a strobe effect, which can trigger seizures in individuals with photosensitive epilepsy. The rapid flashing of lights can overstimulate the brain and potentially cause a seizure.

3. Are there any warning signs on the logo?

Yes, there is a warning on the bottom of the logo that reads "Warning: This logo may cause seizures." This was added after the logo received criticism for its potential to trigger seizures.

4. Has the logo caused any seizures?

There have been reports of individuals experiencing seizures after being exposed to the logo, but there is no official data on the number of cases. The International Olympic Committee has stated that they are taking the issue seriously and are working to address it.

5. How can the logo be made safer for individuals with epilepsy?

To make the logo safer, the strobe effect could be removed or significantly reduced. Alternative designs that do not incorporate flashing lights could also be considered. It is important to consult with experts in epilepsy and take their recommendations into account when designing images or logos for public use.