2019 REU/Summer Program Acceptance Thread

In summary, Texas A&M and Columbia have both accepted offers, and LSU and UC Davis have sent out first round offers. Duke is the only program that has sent a rejection letter, but it's not a big deal.
Oods
I thought there would already be a thread for this by now, but there isn't so here we go! Post REU offers/acceptances and such here to help each other out :)

Here's my list:
  • Texas A&M Cyclotron - Accepted 2/22
  • Duke TUNL (first round offers scheduled to be sent out 2/25)
  • UChicago for Women & Minorities
  • LSU
  • UWashington
  • UC Davis
  • The Leadership Alliance SI-EIP
  • Fermilab SIST
  • Columbia Nevis
  • Florida MagLab
Went a little overboard with the applications because I really want to get off Long Island this summer, haha

Likes thisisphysics and PMC
Physics news on Phys.org
Oods said:
I thought there would already be a thread for this by now, but there isn't so here we go! Post REU offers/acceptances and such here to help each other out :)

Here's my list:
  • Texas A&M Cyclotron - Accepted 2/22
  • Duke TUNL (first round offers scheduled to be sent out 2/25)
  • UChicago for Women & Minorities
  • LSU
  • UWashington
  • UC Davis
  • The Leadership Alliance SI-EIP
  • Fermilab SIST
  • Columbia Nevis
  • Florida MagLab
Went a little overboard with the applications because I really want to get off Long Island this summer, haha

Get off Long Island. Ha ha. I was a physics major at LSU, and my best summer research experiences were at BNL on Long Island. I met my wife there. I guess the grass is always greener.

In any case, I know some peeps at Texas A&M and it is a fabulous physics department. You already have a winner. Congratulations.

I'm so glad there is finally a thread up! Now I can lurk on here to see which programs have sent out offers :)
So far I have applied to:
  • Michigan State
  • Duke/TUNL
  • University of Michigan (the non-CERN one)
  • Purdue
  • Indiana Bloomington
  • Maryland - TREND
  • ODU/Jefferson Labs
  • Notre Dame
I also plan to apply to UIUC, Georgia Tech, and maybe Lehigh.

Most of my applications have been tailored towards nuclear/high energy theory, but a few are for nonlinear dynamics or condensed matter theory. I have not heard back from any of them, but then again I am sophomore so the odds are against me. I'll mostly likely be a third or fourth round pick if I get accepted at all.

Good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:
Likes Oods
Accepted to Columbia Nevis REU working with ATLAS group on 2/24, and I had a friend accepted to work on RARAF 2/23

Likes thisisphysics
Waitlisted for Duke TUNL 2/25, 350 applications for 12 spots (3.43%)

I applied to quite a few for the same reasons as you. I wanted to get out of my home University this summer.

• University of Utah
  • Louisiana State Universtiy
  • Duke Rejection by e-mail 2/25
  • Kansas State University
  • UC Davis
  • University of Chicago
  • University of Rochester
  • University of Washington
  • Georgia Tech
  • Lehigh University

Congrats on getting a position at Texas A&M and Columbia! I got my rejection letter today from Duke, but it's no big deal. A friend of mine recently got offered a position at the Unviersity of Washington, so I've already crossed them off my list since it's pretty low for two people from the same college to get into UWashington's REU at the same time. Good luck to everyone else, even the lurkers.

Likes Oods
Pal said:
I applied to quite a few for the same reasons as you. I wanted to get out of my home University this summer.

• University of Utah
  • Louisiana State Universtiy
  • Duke Rejection by e-mail 2/25
  • Kansas State University
  • UC Davis
  • University of Chicago
  • University of Rochester
  • University of Washington
  • Georgia Tech
  • Lehigh University

Congrats on getting a position at Texas A&M and Columbia! I got my rejection letter today from Duke, but it's no big deal. A friend of mine recently got offered a position at the Unviersity of Washington, so I've already crossed them off my list since it's pretty low for two people from the same college to get into UWashington's REU at the same time. Good luck to everyone else, even the lurkers.

I'm emailing other places to see what the status of my application is, since I need to decide by Friday. I was waitlisted at Duke, number 2 on the wait list for HEP at CERN (SO CLOSE!) and LSU emailed me back to say that they've sent out first round offers and to not count on an offer from them.

So far, I have gotten 1st round offers from:

Duke/TUNL (nuclear)
Notre Dame
MSU
Rutger's RiSE program

I haven't heard back from:

LSU (I guess this means I didn't get an offer)
UC Boulder
University of Wisconsin (Ice Cube Program)

I'm currently torn between accepting offers from Duke and Notre Dame

i got an offer from TUNL/Duke nuclear

haven't heard from:
Cornell CLASSE (pretty sure they sent acceptances out some time ago)
Michigan State
LSU (got accepted last year, turned them down)
Columbia Nevis

i'm pretty sure i won't get into any other programs. Duke was one of my top choices so I'm pleased with the results.

Likes thisisphysics
woof said:
i got an offer from TUNL/Duke nuclear

haven't heard from:
Cornell CLASSE (pretty sure they sent acceptances out some time ago)
Michigan State
LSU (got accepted last year, turned them down)
Columbia Nevis

i'm pretty sure i won't get into any other programs. Duke was one of my top choices so I'm pleased with the results.
Is there a reason Duke was a top choice? They haven't posted any potential projects, so I'm not sure what to expect from this REU as far as the actual research goes. (Congrats btw! Maybe I'll see you there)

CassiopeiaLight said:
Is there a reason Duke was a top choice? They haven't posted any potential projects, so I'm not sure what to expect from this REU as far as the actual research goes. (Congrats btw! Maybe I'll see you there)
i know a student who did the Duke nuclear REU a couple years ago. he said it was extremely well run and a better experience than another prestigious REU he had done the previous summer. feel free to PM me for more details.

Hi all,
I have received first-round offers from Notre Dame, the University of Minnesota, and the University of Utah so far. Does anyone know anything in particular about any of these programs that would be useful in making my decision? This is my first time receiving REU offers so I'm not entirely sure what to expect/look for. Any advice would be welcome.

kWil said:
Hi all,
I have received first-round offers from Notre Dame, the University of Minnesota, and the University of Utah so far. Does anyone know anything in particular about any of these programs that would be useful in making my decision? This is my first time receiving REU offers so I'm not entirely sure what to expect/look for. Any advice would be welcome.
i don't know much about the programs, but I've heard good things overall about Notre Dame's REU. if their research interests line up with yours i'd probably take that.

Has anyone heard back from LSU, Minnesota, Univ of Oklahoma, SETI, Univ of Michigan or Purdue yet?

aboggs100 said:
Has anyone heard back from LSU, Minnesota, Univ of Oklahoma, SETI, Univ of Michigan or Purdue yet?
idk about SETI but i think it's over for university REU sites. the common deadline for applicants to decide was March 1. there's still a chance you'll get in if a site doesn't have all its spots filled, but at this point i would look into other research/internship opportunities

woof said:
idk about SETI but i think it's over for university REU sites. the common deadline for applicants to decide was March 1. there's still a chance you'll get in if a site doesn't have all its spots filled, but at this point i would look into other research/internship opportunities
This is not true. A lot of REU programs haven't released decisions yet. For instance, I contacted Vanderbilt last week, and they weren't even aware that they could make offers prior to March 1st. A lot of programs are still finalizing their first round of offers, and quite a few of the schools haven't sent anything out yet.

Likes thisisphysics
Anybody hear back from the following?

UChicago
UMich (their ordinary REU, not the CERN one)
Boulder
MIT MSRP

thisisphysics said:
Anybody hear back from the following?

UChicago
UMich (their ordinary REU, not the CERN one)
Boulder
MIT MSRP
Yes, I heard back from Boulder last Friday (and was made an offer). The MIT MSRP program is going to notify people of acceptances in "mid-March," so I'm assuming it'll be sometime late next week. UChicago has been dead silent, but I've heard that they typically send out their first round of offers kind of late.

Likes thisisphysics
aboggs100 said:

I got an e-mail from LSU last week saying they were still reviewing my application and that they had overlaping physics professors with their other REU in the Computational Sciences department with a deadline of last Thursday. I don't know if this was a good or bad sign but I ended up applying to it, lol.

Will REUs notify you if you're not accepted? Waiting to hear back on a bunch, and I'm not sure if I should email asking about the status of my applications.

Eventually, they should email you after all first round offers and waitlists are finished. I had to email 13 different schools on the status of my application bc they hadn't notified me of anything and I have a deadline for SULI of this friday.

bjn said:
Will REUs notify you if you're not accepted? Waiting to hear back on a bunch, and I'm not sure if I should email asking about the status of my applications.

From what I've heard from older students most REUs will e-mail you a rejection e-mail once all the positions are filled, usually by late March - late April depending on the institution. Until then they're going through the different rounds of e-mails and hopefully if you're not a first round pick you're a second or third.

Hi everyone! I've been ghosting this thread, waiting until I finalized my decision to post. Good luck to you all :)

• DOE CCI at NREL: Accepted 2/5 - declined offer
  • Energy REU at Binghamton: Accepted 2/3 - declined offer
  • CEBR REU at University of Washington: Accepted 2/6 (ACCEPTED OFFER!)
  • UMass Amherst CURE REU - withdrew application
  • FAU Hydropower REU - withdrew application
  • Smart Cities REU at Denver University - withdrew application
  • URISE REU at UMich Dearborn - withdrew application
  • University of Alabama Innovative Engineering REU - withdrew application

Update:
I got an offer from ODU/Jefferson Labs this morning and was paired with the project mentor I wanted!

Oh, also I got rejected from Duke and ghosted by the other eight programs I applied to...
But that's not important now!

Likes thisisphysics
Any updates on MSRP? I know it's still early, but it's been radio silence from them, and I haven't read about any acceptances so far this year.

thisisphysics said:
Any updates on MSRP? I know it's still early, but it's been radio silence from them, and I haven't read about any acceptances so far this year.
I haven't heard anything from MIT yet. It is indeed "mid-March" now, so...results could be released at any second. (How wonderful.)

Nothing yet LOL! Looking like it's next week for them and UChicago

Someone on the College Confidential forum said they got an acceptance to MSRP, so it sounds like they're slowly rolling out acceptances! Personally, haven't heard anything, and their phone line says they're not taking calls at the moment.

Have anyone heard anything from Lehigh? I emailed them a week ago asking my application status and they told me they were still reviewing applications. It has been one week and now is nearly April. Does it mean I'm probably rejected?

No news should not be taken as bad news. Some application deadlines were extended with minimal public notice, and the selection and notification processes are still ongoing for many REU opportunities. Sit tight.

Likes Pal and Heyzrt

1. What is an REU/Summer Program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) or Summer Program is a competitive program that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in hands-on research projects in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics. These programs are typically funded by the National Science Foundation and are designed to promote research skills and career development for undergraduate students.

2. Who is eligible to apply for an REU/Summer Program?

Eligibility requirements for REU/Summer Programs vary, but most programs are open to undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a college or university and have completed at least one year of coursework. Some programs may have additional requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific major, so it is important to carefully review the eligibility criteria for each program.

3. How do I apply for an REU/Summer Program?

To apply for an REU/Summer Program, you will need to submit an application through the program's website or through a designated application portal. The application typically includes a personal statement, letters of recommendation, and transcripts. Some programs may also require a research proposal or specific essays. It is important to carefully follow the application instructions and submit all required materials by the deadline.

4. How competitive is the application process for REU/Summer Programs?

The application process for REU/Summer Programs is highly competitive, as there are typically many more applicants than available spots. Therefore, it is important to submit a strong application that showcases your academic achievements, research experience, and future goals. Additionally, it is beneficial to apply to multiple programs to increase your chances of acceptance.

5. What can I expect if I am accepted into an REU/Summer Program?

If you are accepted into an REU/Summer Program, you can expect to participate in a hands-on research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor. You may also have the opportunity to attend seminars and workshops, present your research at a conference, and network with other students and professionals in your field. Additionally, many programs provide a stipend and cover the cost of housing and travel expenses.