2021 Nobel Prize in Physics awarded for climate modeling

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a hot topic, which is getting even hotter as the years go by.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu, dRic2 and Hamiltonian
DennisN said:
It's a hot topic, which is getting even hotter as the years go by.
It gets hotter and hotter in both metaphorical and literal sense.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN
Fascinating. As a chemistry student, I predict that the 2021 Nobel Prize for Chemistry will go to a biologist.
 
Here's the Physics Today article:
https://physicstoday.scitation.org/journal/pto

Hopefully, people will soon leave their biaises and treat Earth physics the same way as other physics application, i.e. with objectivity.

Many years ago, I had to leave this forum because of that problem (lack of objectivity on the issue).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Blackberg said:
Many years ago, I had to leave this forum because of that problem (lack of objectivity on the issue).
Please check your PMs. Thanks.
 
Somehow I have problems understanding what was novel in Manabe's work:

Manabe, of Princeton University, developed a one-dimensional climate model to investigate the balance of incoming radiation from the Sun, IR from Earth, convection in the atmosphere, and the latent heat of water vapor. His 1967 framework verified that carbon dioxide was the primary source of rising global temperatures.

To me it sounds like modeling of a greenhouse effect. Trick is, as far as I am aware it was already done in 19th century. Could be his model was much more detailed, could be I am misreading the statement, could be the statement is unfortunately vague or too general, but something doesn't compute.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
Two people share half the prize for climate models, the other half goes to Parisi. Climate is probably just a better publicity generator than "theory of disordered materials and random processes."
 
I think that the prize was awarded for the techniques that they developed for modeling complex systems, not the actual models themselves

.
Syukuro Manabe and Klaus Hasselmann “for the physical modelling of Earth’s climate, quantifying variability and reliably predicting global warming”

Giorgio Parisi “for the discovery of the interplay of disorder and fluctuations in physical systems from atomic to planetary scales
My emphasis.
 
Last edited: