Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

270 degree thrust bearing solutions?

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1
    I need a thrust bearing, it has to be like the one in the picture as in it needs to have a hole in the middle(a circle). However all the non 360 degrees thruster bearings I googled are not circle shaped, but I need free space, it would preferrably have the same diameters as the pic but just 270 degrees..

not sure if it's even possible but yeah I need something along those lines.

EDIT. It only needs to be able to rotate 45 degrees.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

etudiant

Gold Member

I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for, but why not just use what is pictured with a stop at the appropriate angle?

4. Nov 2, 2013 #3
    I don't think that'd work, say I cut 45° of the circle. the balls would fall out, and if I closed the ends so they couldn't fall out, the balls would not be able to roll forward to let the bearing top slide in a circular motion because they'd be p ushed to the ends and they'd hit the ends causing some friction, which wouldnt make a good bearing.

It's hard to explain without drawing it up in solidworks. I am not even sure if what I am asking for exists, or can be made

5. Nov 2, 2013 #4

etudiant

Gold Member

I was not thinking of having the stop on the bearings race, but either inside or outside it, whichever works.

The race has to go all around anyways, just to keep things from flexing.

6. Nov 2, 2013 #5
    And as a physicist you have reached the end of my vocabulary.

7. Nov 28, 2013 #6
    Thanks a lot for sharing! I think sintered bearing are best for 270 degree thrust bearing solutions...The sintering make it reliable and durable with very much flexibility!

8. Nov 30, 2013 #7
    What turbocharger are you working on?

9. Dec 4, 2013 #8
    I'm not, I'm not even working on a car, I ended up creating a wholly different system in SolidWorks, I can't really call it a bearing anymore but the problem is solved regardless.

10. Dec 4, 2013 #9
    What I ended up doing was simply a 270 degree ring, that was fixed between gears so it could slide back and fourth.

11. Dec 4, 2013 #10

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Realistically, you need at least two thrust bearings on a crankshaft. Have a buddy depress the clutch and check for endplay. If it wiggles, you have a problem.

12. Dec 5, 2013 #11

Baluncore

Science Advisor

The nut used on a ballscrew recirculates the balls from one end of the nut to the other. You could do the same with a thrust bearing by having a non-loadbearing path as a ball reservoir and return path.

13. Jan 7, 2014 #12

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Can you please provide a link to the manufacturer and a series or part number.

14. Jan 18, 2014 #13
    I am not positive but You can try Thrust Air bearing. oav thrust air bearing may work well for your application, http://oavco.com/thrust.html

15. Feb 1, 2014 #14

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook