Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is Tapered land thrust bearing?

1. Jun 5, 2017 #1
    I came across the word Tapered land Thrust bearing while reading about Babbitt bearing manufacturing. Can anyone help me with a layman's definition? How is it different from tilting pad?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:welcome:

I think you should ask the Pioneer thrust bearing company. They are the ones who wrote that term.

4. Jun 5, 2017 #3

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor

depending on your axial and radial load demands, the taper roller bearing developed by Timken in Canton, Ohio years ago was a very good compromise.
    understanding taper bearings pdf below is good primer for it.

http://www.alfatekrolamentos.com.br/Catalogos/USA_chap_1.pdf

5. Jun 5, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A tapered land thrust bearing is a hydrodynamic bearing resembling a plain multi pad thrust bearing but with the thrust pads sloped off slightly .

The sloping off allows controlled geometry hydrodynamic wedges to form at each pad thus improving the load carrying capacity compared to a plain pad version of the same nominal size . Also gives improved vibration damping characteristics .

Most commonly used in one direction of rotation situations . Bi-directional ones can be made but load carrying capacity is then compromised a little .

They work particularly well in moderate load / high speed applications such as turbines .

6. Jun 6, 2017 #5
    Thanks a lot :)

7. Jun 12, 2017 #6

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted