Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to support horizontal spinning tire: turntable or thrust bearings?

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone.

I need to create a mechanism involving a 12" diameter horizontal tire, spinning at 3000RPM, with 2kg mass. The wheel will be attached to a spinning shaft.

The only thing, I need to support the wheel from the bottom using flat bearings of some sort, so it can spin freely. Also, they must have a hole in the center for the shaft to go through (not touching the bearing).

I have looked up turntable bearings, ball and roller thrust bearings. Which of these will be most suitable?

Thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2
    You could have a hollow shaft, vertical axis, supported in two large bearings. The shaft would need a collar or shoulder and one of the bearings sized to handle the vertical load. Another idea is to use a slewing ring bearing. I'm sure there are a 100 other good ideas out there.

But I suspect that, at 12 inch diameter / 2kg mass / 3000 RPM, your most important concern would be dynamic balance. Take a look at natural frequency and be sure to put a cage around that thing.

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The bearing selection and placement will also require defining how much thrust and radial load will be placed on it, and what moment stiffness you're after.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook