Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A 3 dimensional gauge theory

1. Sep 30, 2016 #1
    Dear all
    I have a question is the dual of the field strength ( of abelian gauge theory) in 3 dimensional space the same as the gauge field?
    I have a formula for the dual field strength and am trying to bring that of gauge field!!!
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean in 1+3-dimensional or 1+2-dimensional space time?

In the first case, the dual is also a 2-form, but generally not the same 2-form. In the second case, the dual is a 1-form, not a 2-form. (In an N dimensional space the dual form of the field strength is N-2-dimensional.)

4. Sep 30, 2016 #3
    Hi again
    no i mean in 1+2 space yes i know that the dual of a k vector is N-k. But am applying it to N= 2+1 space, i am wondering if the dual of the field strength which is a 1 form is the same as the gauge field since both are 1 form in this special 1+2 space.
    Thank you again

5. Sep 30, 2016 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The field strength is given by ##F = dA## and since ##A## is a one-form, ##F## is a 2-form. Are you thinking of the gauge potential ##A## when you say gauge field? The answer is still no, the dual of ##F## contains derivatives of ##A## and ##A## does not, you would be saying ##*dA = A##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted