3 dimensional gauge theory

• A
  • Thread starter shereen1
  • Start date
Dear all
I have a question is the dual of the field strength ( of abelian gauge theory) in 3 dimensional space the same as the gauge field?
I have a formula for the dual field strength and am trying to bring that of gauge field!!!
Thank you

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Do you mean in 1+3-dimensional or 1+2-dimensional space time?

In the first case, the dual is also a 2-form, but generally not the same 2-form. In the second case, the dual is a 1-form, not a 2-form. (In an N dimensional space the dual form of the field strength is N-2-dimensional.)

Likes shereen1
Do you mean in 1+3-dimensional or 1+2-dimensional space time?

In the first case, the dual is also a 2-form, but generally not the same 2-form. In the second case, the dual is a 1-form, not a 2-form. (In an N dimensional space the dual form of the field strength is N-2-dimensional.)
Hi again
no i mean in 1+2 space yes i know that the dual of a k vector is N-k. But am applying it to N= 2+1 space, i am wondering if the dual of the field strength which is a 1 form is the same as the gauge field since both are 1 form in this special 1+2 space.
Thank you again

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The field strength is given by ##F = dA## and since ##A## is a one-form, ##F## is a 2-form. Are you thinking of the gauge potential ##A## when you say gauge field? The answer is still no, the dual of ##F## contains derivatives of ##A## and ##A## does not, you would be saying ##*dA = A##.

Likes shereen1