3D Rotations using complex numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quaternions and complex numbers for rotating objects. The algorithm for rotating a vector is explained, and it is mentioned that it preserves the magnitude of the vector. The speaker expresses confusion about how the rotation is happening and asks if it can be changed or if it is related to Euler angles. The other person responds by saying that both complex numbers and quaternions are natural for rotations, and that the axis of rotation can be found in their construction.
Septimra
I was thinking that if you could use quaternions to rotate an object using quaternion algebra that there might be a way to rotate an object using complex numbers in some fashion. I was looking at quaternion rotation of a vector and the amount of operations seemed to be a lot. Of course it levels out or even out performs matrices with linear interpolation and concatenation of rotations. But anyhow what i decided to do was rotate a vector (x ,y , z) = x + yi + zj

with the rotation complex numbers
(a + bi)
(a + bj)

a = cos

b = sin

Following this algorithm
(a + bi)(x + yi) = x' + y'i
(a + bj)(y' + zj) = y'' + z'j

the new rotated vector is x' + y''i + z'j;
This works, it rotates the object and preserves the magnitude of the vector.

What I don't understand is how it is rotating the object.

When I put in 90 degrees v(1,0,0) goes to v(0,0,1) to (0,-1,0) back to (1,0,0)

When I put in 90 degrees v(1,1,1) goes to v(-1,-1,1) to (1, -1, -1) to (1,1,1)

My question is: Is it rotating around an axis? Can it be changed? Is it Euler angles in disguise?

Why is it the first time it rotates by 90 degrees when I put in 90?

Then it rotates 180 when I still have 90 degrees in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure ... complex numbers are natural for 2D rotations, just as quaternions are natural for 3D rotations.

But you can also do rotations with matrices; see SO(3).

The question which you have found, what is the axis of rotation, is to be found in the construction of the above systems.

1. What are complex numbers and how are they used in 3D rotations?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real and imaginary component. In 3D rotations, they are used to represent the rotation around a specific axis in space. This is achieved by using a combination of real and imaginary coefficients in the complex number, which correspond to the rotational angles.

2. How are 3D rotations using complex numbers different from other methods of rotation?

3D rotations using complex numbers are different from other methods because they are able to represent all possible rotations in 3D space, whereas other methods may have limitations. Additionally, complex numbers offer a more efficient way to express rotations, as they can be multiplied and combined easily to represent multiple rotations.

3. What are the benefits of using 3D rotations with complex numbers?

One major benefit of using 3D rotations with complex numbers is their ability to accurately represent any rotation in 3D space. They also provide a concise and efficient way to express rotations, making mathematical operations easier. Furthermore, they can be easily converted into other forms, such as quaternions, which are commonly used in computer graphics and simulations.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using 3D rotations with complex numbers?

One limitation of using 3D rotations with complex numbers is that they may be more difficult to visualize compared to other methods, such as Euler angles. Additionally, they may require more complex mathematical operations to manipulate and combine multiple rotations. However, these limitations can be overcome with practice and understanding of the underlying principles.

5. How are 3D rotations using complex numbers applied in real-world scenarios?

3D rotations using complex numbers have many real-world applications, particularly in computer graphics and simulations. They are used to rotate and manipulate 3D objects in video games, animations, and virtual reality. They are also used in robotics, flight simulation, and other engineering fields where precise and accurate rotations are required.