1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

40.0g NaCl that is 90% by Mass, find Mass

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    1. You will prepare 40.0g of a NaCl solution that is 0.90% by mass. Calculate the mass of the NaCl that is needed.

2. I don't know the proper equations/steps to find the answer, this is really what I need help with.

3. I have not made an attempt yet as I don't know how to go about making an attempt. Hopefully somebody could point me in the right direction so I can figure this out.

Also I did do a search though I was unable to find anything that seemed to deal with my situation.

-Britt

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2
    Try looking at it this way first: If you needed to prepare a 100. g solution of NaCl that is 10.0% by mass, what mass of NaCl is needed?

4. Jan 12, 2010 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Other hint: you can solve the question using just definition of mass percentage and basic algebra to rearrange the formula.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  5. Jan 13, 2010 #4
    Thanks for the help it seemed I was over thinking the question a bit. I came up with 0.36g NaCl

6. Jan 13, 2010 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Can't say I am surpsised :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook