40.0g NaCl that is 90% by Mass, find Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter BKHuff
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
BKHuff
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
1. You will prepare 40.0g of a NaCl solution that is 0.90% by mass. Calculate the mass of the NaCl that is needed.


2. I don't know the proper equations/steps to find the answer, this is really what I need help with.


3. I have not made an attempt yet as I don't know how to go about making an attempt. Hopefully somebody could point me in the right direction so I can figure this out.

Also I did do a search though I was unable to find anything that seemed to deal with my situation.

-Britt
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking at it this way first: If you needed to prepare a 100. g solution of NaCl that is 10.0% by mass, what mass of NaCl is needed?
 
Other hint: you can solve the question using just definition of mass percentage and basic algebra to rearrange the formula.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help it seemed I was over thinking the question a bit. I came up with 0.36g NaCl
 
Can't say I am surpsised :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator: