How to find the mass of a complex solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the dilution of two solutions and the calculation of the total mass of the resulting solution. However, due to lack of information about the volume and mass of deionized water used, there is no way to accurately answer the question. The use of significant digits is also discussed, with the expert summarizer explaining their limitations in representing accuracy.
1question

Homework Statement

0.1004g of PbS, 14 mL of HCl, 3mL HNO3 are put in a 100mL volumetric flask, with deionized water filling up the remainder of the volume up to the mark. 5mL of this solution is added to a 250mL vol. flask in addition to 0.3g NaCl, 2.5g HCl, and deionized water filling up the remainder of the volume up to the mark. What is the total mass of the 250mL solution?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know the volume nor mass of deionized water used in either instance. Don't molecules of certain fluids "blend into each other," taking up less than their respective volumes would have you believe? Mass is conserved, however, of course. The only way I can think of doing this, with the information given, is to assume that the solutions have a density equal to that of water, but that is a simplification (though there isn't much of anything in either solution, so I'd guess the true density isn't far off).
Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
No way to answer this question exactly - not enough data.

The final solution will be diluted enough to assume its density is lower than 1.0(some small digit like 2, 3 or 4) g/mL.

OK, great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Even 1.0 kg/L (which - in terms of significant digits - is much more accurate; not that I condone use of SD, let's say what I mean is 1.00±0.05 kg/L).

Likes 1question
Out of curiosity, why don't you like significant digits?

Because they are a lousy way of dealing with accuracy. How are you going to write 1.00±0.02 using significant figures?

They are a good rule of thumb when it comes to reporting calculation results when dealing with measured values (say you measured sides of a rectangle to be 2.22 and 3.33, reporting surface as 7.3926 is an obvious nonsense), but they don't say anything real about the accuracy of calculated result. That should be calculated separately, and using appropriate methods.

Oh, I see. Thanks.

FAQ: How to find the mass of a complex solution

1. How do I find the mass of a complex solution?

To find the mass of a complex solution, you will need to have the following information: the volume of the solution, the density of the solution, and the mass of the container holding the solution. Once you have this information, you can use the formula mass = density x volume to calculate the mass of the solution.

2. What is the difference between density and mass?

Density is a measure of how much matter is compacted into a specific volume, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. In other words, density is the amount of mass per unit volume.

3. Can I use a balance to find the mass of a complex solution?

Yes, you can use a balance to find the mass of a complex solution. However, you will need to make sure that the container holding the solution is also included in the measurement. To do this, you can weigh the empty container first and then weigh the container with the solution, subtracting the two measurements to get the mass of the solution.

4. How do I convert between different units of mass?

To convert between different units of mass, you will need to use conversion factors. These conversion factors are based on the relationship between the two units of measurement. For example, to convert grams to kilograms, you would use the conversion factor 1 kg = 1000 g.

5. Is the mass of a complex solution affected by temperature?

Yes, the mass of a complex solution can be affected by temperature. This is because temperature can affect the density of a solution, which in turn affects the mass. It is important to make sure that when calculating the mass of a solution, the temperature is consistent throughout the measurement process.

Back