4163.566% increase in Tutorial costs

In summary, in 1950, the average cost per semester of university in New Zealand was 129$. It is now $5500 per semester, and these are averages. Strange huh? What's it like in America? You always see in movies of high schoolers wanting to get scholarships to go to college because they can't afford it. Another funny thing, in new zealand, college new zealand = high school american and university new zealand = college american.
vorcil
1950 the average cost per semester of university in New Zealand was 129$ it is now $5500 per semester,
these are averages

strange huh?
what's it like in America? you always see in movies of high schoolers wanting to get scholarships to go to college because they can't afford it

another funny thing, in new zealand, college new zealand = high school american
and university new zealand = college american

Science news on Phys.org
In 1950, there was no NZ dollar. Assuming you mean the dollar equivalent, the average inflation rate over the last 59 years in NZ was 6.03%. The average increase in university costs was 6.57%. The average increase above inflation is 0.51%.

vorcil said:
1950 the average cost per semester of university in New Zealand was 129$ it is now $5500 per semester,
these are averages

With tution and fees, it costs over $11,000 where I'm at in the U.S. My boss said that when she went to school it was under $2,000 per year. Note I consider her an unreliable source for a lot of things though :biggrin:

Flat said:
With tution and fees, it costs over $11,000 where I'm at in the U.S. My boss said that when she went to school it was under $2,000 per year. Note I consider her an unreliable source for a lot of things though :biggrin:

As Vanadium already pointed out you have to multiply by the value of money. If money was about 8 times more valuable back then (reasonable guess), that means her tuition would be more like under $16,000 in current dollars..

Flat said:

the 5500 is per semester so 11,000 sounds about right, except in us dollars it's probably equivlalent to 15,000 us dollars or something

r = (5500-129)^(1/(2009-1950))-1 * 100 ~ 15%

Isn't that bit too much if approximate inflation rate to 6-10%?

oops.. 7%! Just put the number in Google without much a thought. (5500/129). It doesn't look that much

Last edited:
And in 1950, you could buy a cup of coffee or an ice cream cone with a nickel, and a piece of candy with a penny. You also have to consider what a typical yearly salary was...in family where only the husband usually worked. With things like tuition, you also have to consider the difference between what students actually paid/pay, and what amount of tuition is covered by the state/federal funds, to figure out the actual cost of tuition, especially in places where education is heavily subsidized by tax funds.

In 2008, $129.00 from 1950 is worth:

$1,153.41 using the Consumer Price Index
$957.52 using the GDP deflator
$1,864.18 using the unskilled wage
$3,119.51 using the nominal GDP per capita
$6,263.22 using the relative share of GDP

There's clearly a lot of variability in these estimates, but the range does contain the modern price

junglebeast said:
As Vanadium already pointed out you have to multiply by the value of money. If money was about 8 times more valuable back then (reasonable guess), that means her tuition would be more like under $16,000 in current dollars..

Opps, forgot to mention that she is only 10 years older.

Vanadium 50 said:
In 1950, there was no NZ dollar. Assuming you mean the dollar equivalent, the average inflation rate over the last 59 years in NZ was 6.03%. The average increase in university costs was 6.57%. The average increase above inflation is 0.51%.

:reposts for Vanadium:

1. What caused the 4163.566% increase in tutorial costs?

The increase in tutorial costs could be attributed to several factors, such as inflation, rising operating costs, changes in curriculum, or expansion of the tutorial program.

2. How does the 4163.566% increase in tutorial costs affect students?

The increase in tutorial costs may have a direct impact on students, as it could result in higher tuition fees or additional expenses for tutorial materials. This may also make tutorial services less accessible to students from lower-income backgrounds.

3. Has there been a similar increase in other educational costs?

It would be necessary to compare the increase in tutorial costs to other educational costs to determine if it is a trend or an isolated incident. Further research and data analysis would be needed to answer this question accurately.

4. How can the 4163.566% increase in tutorial costs be justified?

The justification for the increase in tutorial costs would depend on the specific reasons behind it. If the increase is due to improved quality of tutorial services or expansion of the program, it may be justifiable. However, if there is no valid reason for the significant increase, it may be challenged by students and stakeholders.

5. What measures are being taken to address the 4163.566% increase in tutorial costs?

The educational institution or organization responsible for the tutorial program may have plans in place to address the increase in costs. This could include financial aid for students, cost-cutting measures, or seeking alternative funding sources. It is also possible that the increase may be temporary and could be adjusted in the future.