Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

50th Anniversary Conference of BCS Theory of Superconductivity

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Today, Oct. 10 2007, marks the start of the conference at UIUC celebrating the 50th anniversary of the BCS Theory of Superconductivity. This news report has a good summary of the discovery and also the significance of the theory beyond just condensed matter physics, something that I have always tried to impress upon people. I think in all of physics, the BCS theory is one of the landmark physics theories that will go down as one of humankind greatest ideas. 50 years has passed and it is still appreciated for its importance.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2
    Were you able to attend? The first day was really interesting. Hearing about the history and how everyone interacted and helped each other.

I think they are going to post the talks online and maybe also sell a dvd.

4. Oct 17, 2007 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, I wasn't able to attend. I don't think I had a good enough excuse to take several days off to go to Urbana.

It would be nice if they have a DVD of the whole proceedings. I would buy it.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?