Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

70th Anniversay of the attack on Pearl Harbor

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dec 7th, 1941.

Recently I was going through old mementos and found that I still have the first researched report that I ever wrote as a student. It was about the attack on Pearl Harbor. [I can still smell the mimeograph chemicals... or was it thermal copy paper that was used for photos? I can't remember anymore.]

What is terrifying is that I wrote that report about 40 years ago. At the time, Pearl Harbor had occurred about 30 years earlier, but I thought it was ancient history! :cry:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

No worries Ivan. There will be people like me around 40 years from now to keep writing reports!
    However, you should post this report so that young ones like myself can learn from it!

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but in forty years, you won't believe it has been forty years!!!

I was still pretty young, so there is nothing signifiicant about the report [a term paper, actually] other than it was the first such effort.

I did have to read it though. One line that jumped off the page for me was a comment about the confusion that ensued after the attack started. One sailor was reportedly seen trying to load potatoes into a cannon. I still remembered that one.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  5. Dec 7, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Hrmm...a potato at 2,000 feet per second...that's one hell of a potato gun.

6. Dec 8, 2011 #5

FtlIsAwesome

Gold Member

Mashed potatoes anybody?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook