A batter hits a baseball motion and velocity problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a batter hitting a baseball at 35 m/s and 65 degrees above the horizontal, and an outfielder starting 70 m away and running in the line of the ball's flight to catch it. The formula y = (Vo*sin(theta))t - (1/2)gt^2 is used to find the time and distance of the ball's flight, and it is determined that the fielder must run 25.69 meters to catch the ball. However, the question of how fast the fielder needs to run remains unanswered.
kirby27
A batter hits a baseball at a speed of 35 m/s?
and an angle of 65 degrees above the horizontal. At the same instant, an outfielder 70 m away begins running away form the batter in the line of the ball's flight, hoping to catch it. How fast must he outfielder run to catch the ball? ignore air resistance, and assume the fielder catches the ball at the same height at which it left that bat.

i used the formula y = (Vo*sin(theta))t - (1/2)gt^2 and found t = 6.47 s
using Xf=Xo + Voxt i found Xf = 95.69m. this is the distance of the bal's flight. therefore the fiedier must run 95.69 - 70 = 25.69 meters to the ball. and i am stuck after this.

Physics news on Phys.org
kirby27 said:
A batter hits a baseball at a speed of 35 m/s?
and an angle of 65 degrees above the horizontal. At the same instant, an outfielder 70 m away begins running away form the batter in the line of the ball's flight, hoping to catch it. How fast must he outfielder run to catch the ball? ignore air resistance, and assume the fielder catches the ball at the same height at which it left that bat.

i used the formula y = (Vo*sin(theta))t - (1/2)gt^2 and found t = 6.47 s
using Xf=Xo + Voxt i found Xf = 95.69m. this is the distance of the bal's flight. therefore the fiedier must run 95.69 - 70 = 25.69 meters to the ball. and i am stuck after this.

You have calculated how far away the fielder has to go, and also the time the ball will be there. From that you can work out how fast he needs to run!

dont give me TOO much advice

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a baseball?

The formula for calculating velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

2. How does the motion of a batter hitting a baseball affect its velocity?

The motion of a batter hitting a baseball affects its velocity by providing an initial force and direction to the ball. The angle and speed at which the bat contacts the ball will determine the velocity of the ball.

3. Is air resistance a factor in the motion and velocity of a baseball?

Yes, air resistance is a factor in the motion and velocity of a baseball. As the ball moves through the air, it experiences air resistance which can slow it down and affect its trajectory.

4. How does the weight of the baseball affect its velocity?

The weight of the baseball does not directly affect its velocity. However, a heavier baseball may be more difficult for a batter to hit with the same amount of force, resulting in a lower velocity.

5. Can the velocity of a baseball be changed after it has been hit by a batter?

No, once the ball has been hit by the batter, its velocity can only be affected by external forces such as air resistance or gravity. The initial velocity given by the batter cannot be changed.