1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A car moves with constant velocity

1. Feb 17, 2006 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Question: Which of the following statements could be true?

a) A car moves with a constant speed around a circular track.

b)A car moves with a constant velocity around a circular track.

This is question #2 from the kinmatics quiz link on this forum.

It marked me wrong for choosing A.

But since speed does not imply direction, I don't see why it's speed can't be constant.

How can the answer be B? If the track is circular, the car is accelerating and therfore changing its direction all the time. One moment it is doing 50mph North. A few moments later it is doing 50 mph South. It's velocity is constantly changing.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The quizes from the forum need to be reviewed and fixed. I think the kinematics one was one where no one got over 60%...

4. Feb 17, 2006 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are correct, of course. As Pengwuino says, some of those quizes need to be overhauled.

5. Feb 17, 2006 #4
    I was in a bit of a fluster over how much I'd forgotten until I convinced myself that the quizzes had to be wrong :wink:

I do think that there were a few questions on some of the tests that I truly did miss though, but that's fine since it serves to reveal areas where my understanding is weak.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?