1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Car moving in circular motion

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose you are driving a car around in a circle of radius 200 ft, at a velocity which has the constant magnitude of 20 ft/s. A string hangs from the ceiling of the car with a mass of 2 kg suspended from it. What angle will the string make with the vertical? (Away from the center of curvature)

2. Relevant equations
    Fr = mrw^2
    v = rw

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically, the part about the string hanging from the ceiling of the car makes this problem confusing. My understanding is that if the car moves in uniform circular motion (constant speed), then the angle of the string will not vary. The thing is, the string will lean towards the center of curvature while the car is moving in a circular path (correct me, if I'm wrong).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2
    let me ask you this:

Which forces are acting on the object suspended from the ceiling of the car?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook