A collaboration between different forums (PF and audio)

• Thread starter arivel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Audio
In summary, many years ago in 1952 the radar engineer and inventor John Edward Karlson together with Wayne Green invented and presented his audio speaker inspired by his studies on microwaves for antennas. It came out a speaker that bears his name (Karlson) very controversial in the reviews of those who have had the opportunity to listen to them. Some say it is excellent and others not. Like so many other audio cabinets it has its merits but also its faults apparently. Someone already knows about it, there is a forum dedicated to audio, international and famous, in my opinion the best for the amount of competent people who attend it, it is DIYAUDIO. Some people are trying to find solutions to improve this speaker but it is not easy at
arivel
many years ago in 1952 the radar engineer and inventor John Edward Karlson together with Wayne Green invented and presented his audio speaker inspired by his studies on microwaves for antennas.
it came out a speaker that bears his name (Karlson) very controversial in the reviews of those who have had the opportunity to listen to them. some say it is excellent and others not.
like so many other audio cabinets it has its merits but also its faults apparently.

maybe someone already knows it, there is a forum dedicated to audio, international and famous, in my opinion the best for the amount of competent people who attend it, it is DIYAUDIO.
well, there are some people who are trying to find solutions to improve this speaker but it is not easy at all.

since this diffuser was born from microwave studies I thought I'd send my request here. surely there are physicists in here who can help us. a collaboration between different forums would be very nice.
what do you think ?

Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
arivel said:
controversial in the reviews of those who have had the opportunity to listen to them. some say it is excellent and others not.
That sort of defines the audiophile world, IMO. As much psychology as physics.

Anyway, look into the papers by Richard Small about analytical design of loudspeakers, there's some real physics in those.

arivel said:
there are some people who are trying to find solutions to improve this speaker but it is not easy at all.

since this diffuser was born from microwave studies ...
Let me get some things straight. We do have very advanced speakers nowadays. I haven't read about the speaker Karlson and Green invented, but is it working on the same (or similar) principles that modern speakers work on? If yes, why are some people trying to improve it? If not, do you mean that this is kind of an interesting DIY project that some people are doing? Are they restoring one of those original speakers, or are they building a new and improved one based on the original design?

Here are some of my first impressions:

So, good sound is not only about the cabinet. It is about the entire package: input (recording / mastering quality), pre-amp, amp, crossover, driver(s), cabinet(s). To say that you have invented a cabinet that is the be-all, end-all of all cabinets sounds silly to me.

Furthermore, there is quite a decent sized woofer in the thing (13.5 inch) and that's it. I find it hard to believe that such a woofer can truthfully reproduce the higher frequencies accurately. Simply because the driver is too heavy and slow to follow the intricate high frequency movements that are needed. So if the woofer cannot produce high quality higher frequencies, you can cabinet all you want, but its not going to improve much. (Maybe that's why I see some of these speakers with tweeters on top, which seems a bit of a defeat of its purpose to me)

There is an interview with the inventor here, which didn't really convince me that he really knew what he was talking about.

Likes Wrichik Basu and berkeman
arivel said:
surely there are physicists in here who can help us.
Of course, we are happy to help.

Those folks are welcome to come here and join PF and ask their technical questions. We will do our best to help them. This thread is now closed*.

* (and please don't call us Shirley) :wink:

Likes Bystander, Wrichik Basu and BillTre

1. What is a collaboration between different forums?

A collaboration between different forums is when two or more online communities or discussion boards come together to work on a common project or topic. This could involve sharing resources, ideas, or expertise to achieve a common goal.

2. How does a collaboration between different forums benefit the participants?

A collaboration between different forums can benefit the participants in many ways. It allows for a diverse range of perspectives and ideas to be shared, leading to a more comprehensive and well-rounded outcome. It also allows for networking and building new connections between individuals from different communities.

3. What are some examples of successful collaborations between different forums?

There have been many successful collaborations between different forums in various fields such as science, technology, and the arts. Some examples include collaborations between science and music forums to create new educational resources, collaborations between gaming and coding forums to develop new software, and collaborations between photography and travel forums to create a photo exhibition.

4. How can one get involved in a collaboration between different forums?

If you are interested in participating in a collaboration between different forums, you can start by reaching out to other communities or individuals who share a similar interest or goal. You can also join online platforms or groups that facilitate collaborations between different forums or create your own initiative and invite others to join.

5. What are some challenges that may arise in a collaboration between different forums?

Some challenges that may arise in a collaboration between different forums include communication barriers, conflicting ideas or goals, and differences in work styles or processes. It is important for all participants to establish clear communication channels and guidelines from the start to avoid potential conflicts and ensure a smooth collaboration.