1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A complex question which has mass, time and acceleration involved

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1
    A lift ascends with an upward acceleration of 1.25ms-2. At the instant its upward speed is 2.5ms-1, a loose bolt falls from the ceiling of the lift, 2.75m from the floor. Calculate the actual distance the bolt falls.

(The following equations are in no particular order but may be useful)

1.)t=square root of (2Xs/a)
    2.) s=aXt2/2

As i attempted the solution, my teacher told me that there were two distances involved.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2
    Draw a picture. Do you know how long the bolt will fall for? Not really because you don't really know how far up the lift will move while it's falling. Sounds like your going to have to solve some simultaneous equations.

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3
    First you have to calculate how far did the lift bottom go from the ground. You can use the equation s= (a*t2)/2. You can calculate the time: t=v/a.
    When you calculate s (that is the height for the lift bottom), add it to the lift height and you will get traveling height of the bolt.

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4
    Thanks for the tips. Uh Oh, I seem to have forgotten what simultaneous equations

6. Jun 11, 2009 #5
    Ok Thanks I'll try that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook