A convergent sequence of reals

In summary, a convergent sequence is a sequence of real numbers where there exists a real number L such that for any positive number \epsilon, there is a corresponding natural number N where the absolute value of the difference between the terms in the sequence and L is less than \epsilon for all terms after N. This is denoted as \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = \lim a_n = L. The definition was applied to the sequence \{{n \over {n + 1}}\} to show that it approaches 1. The final argument involves choosing N = \left\lceil\frac{1}{\epsilon}\right\rceil or N > \frac 1 \epsilon -1
Dr. Seafood
Call {a1, a2, a3, ...} = {an} a "convergent sequence" if

[tex]\exists L \in \mathbb{R} : \quad \forall \epsilon > 0 \quad \exists N \in \mathbb{N} : (\forall n > N \quad (n > N \implies |a_n - L| < \epsilon))[/tex]

in which case we write [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n = \lim a_n = L[/itex]. Of course this is the usual definition for sequences of reals. Consider the sequence

[tex]\{{n \over {n + 1}}\} = \{{1 \over 2}, {2 \over 3}, {3 \over 4}, ... \}[/tex]

It appears the numbers approach 1, intuitively. We'll try to show by definition that [itex]\lim a_n = 1[/itex]. Given [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], we'll try to find the corresponding positive integer N so that we satisfy the above definition. I get this far:

[tex]|{n \over n + 1} - 1| = |{-1 \over n + 1}| = |{1 \over n + 1}| < \epsilon \implies 1 < {\epsilon}(n + 1)[/tex]

By the Archimedean property, we can always find (n + 1) so that this is true, i.e. for any [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]. But this doesn't help me find the particular fixed integer N which corresponds to our choice of [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. How is this done?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In general, the N has to be a function of [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. For example. Take [itex]N = \left\lceil\frac{1}{\epsilon}\right\rceil[/itex] (ceiling function) then [itex]n > N \ge \frac{1}{\epsilon}\Longrightarrow \frac{1}{n+1} < \epsilon[/itex] as required.

You are given [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex]. You have
[tex]|\frac 1 {n+1}| <\epsilon\rightleftarrows \frac 1 \epsilon < n+1 \rightleftarrows n > \frac 1 \epsilon -1[/tex]

So start your final argument like this. Given [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex] pick an integer
[tex]N > \frac 1 \epsilon -1[/tex]
Then if n > N, ... (work your steps in reverse here).

Right. I was thinking [itex]N = \lceil{\frac{1}{\epsilon}}\rceil[/itex] would work, but I didn't want to introduce the ceiling function because this is for a teaching exercise. Writing [itex]N > \frac{1}{\epsilon} - 1[/itex] is a good idea too, I was thinking more about writing [itex]N = N(\epsilon)[/itex] explicitly but this works perfectly. In fact, it's a good idea for a lesson example because it shows how limits of sequences are different from limits of functions: we work with integers as arguments, so we need [itex]N > 0[/itex] instead of [itex]\delta > 0[/itex].

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Well if you don't make the requirement that N be a natural number, then the ceiling function is not needed. I don't think that requirement adds anything to the definition.

^ Well, the terms in the sequence are indexed by natural numbers, so it wouldn't make sense to use another number as the index. I see that n can be a natural number while the "fixed" N doesn't have to be; but I think it might be better for teaching to think of N as "the point in the sequence past which the sequence is within epsilon of its limit".

I don't think it is a bad thing to introduce the ceiling function to (I suppose) calculus students. I think it isn't difficult to understand and it is better to teach it when you need it since they would know it is made for something, not just some arbitrary useless definition.

Yeah. I think I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks.

1. What is a convergent sequence of reals?

A convergent sequence of reals is a sequence of real numbers that approaches a specific limit as the sequence progresses. This means that as the sequence continues, the terms get closer and closer to the limit value.

2. How do you determine if a sequence is convergent?

To determine if a sequence is convergent, you can use the definition of convergence which states that for any positive number, there exists a term in the sequence such that all terms after that term are within that positive number of the limit value.

3. What is the limit of a convergent sequence of reals?

The limit of a convergent sequence of reals is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the sequence progresses. It is the value that the sequence "converges" towards.

4. Can a sequence be convergent without having a limit?

No, a sequence cannot be convergent without having a limit. The definition of convergence requires that the sequence has a limit that it approaches as the sequence progresses. If there is no limit, the sequence is considered divergent.

5. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence of reals?

A convergent sequence of reals approaches a specific limit value as the sequence progresses, while a divergent sequence does not have a limit and either "explodes" or "oscillates" as the terms increase. In other words, the terms of a divergent sequence do not approach a specific value.