Are my ideas as for the convergence right?

In summary, we have a sequence $(a_n)$ of real numbers converging to $a$, and a sequence $(x_n)$ with $x_n=0$ if $n$ is even and $x_n=1$ if $n$ is odd. We want to check the convergence of the sequence $\left( \frac{x_1+x_2+\dots+x_n}{n}\right)$. Using the fact that $a_{2n} \to a$ and $a_{2n+1} \to a$, we can show that $a_n \to a$. Additionally, we can prove that $\frac{n}{2} \leq x_1+\dots+x_n \leq \frac{n
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I am looking at the following exercise:

1. Let $(a_n)$ be a sequence of real numbers such that $a_{2n} \to a$ and $a_{2n+1} \to a$ for some real number $a$. Show that $a_n \to a$.
  2. We are given the sequence $x_n=0$ if $n$ is even, $x_n=1$ if $n$ is odd. Check as for the convergence the sequence $\left( \frac{x_1+x_2+\dots+x_n}{n}\right)$.

I have thought the following:

1. Since $a_{2n} \to a$, we have that $\forall \epsilon>0 \ \exists n_1$ such that $|a_{2n}-a|<\epsilon, \forall n \geq n_1$.

Since $a_{2n+1} \to a$, we have that $\forall \epsilon>0 \ \exists n_2$ such that $|a_{2n+1}-a|<\epsilon, \forall n \geq n_2$.

Then we have that $|a_n-a|<\epsilon, \forall n \geq \max \{ n_1,n_2\}$ and $\forall \epsilon$ and thus $a_n \to a$.

Is this right? (Thinking)
  2. We have that $0 \leq \frac{x_1+x_2+\dots+x_n}{n} \leq \frac{\frac{n}{2}}{n}=\frac{1}{2}$.

Does this help somehow? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I am looking at the following exercise:

1. Let $(a_n)$ be a sequence of real numbers such that $a_{2n} \to a$ and $a_{2n+1} \to a$ for some real number $a$. Show that $a_n \to a$.
  2. We are given the sequence $x_n=0$ if $n$ is even, $x_n=1$ if $n$ is odd. Check as for the convergence the sequence $\left( \frac{x_1+x_2+\dots+x_n}{n}\right)$.

I have thought the following:

1. Since $a_{2n} \to a$, we have that $\forall \epsilon>0 \ \exists n_1$ such that $|a_{2n}-a|<\epsilon, \forall n \geq n_1$.

Since $a_{2n+1} \to a$, we have that $\forall \epsilon>0 \ \exists n_2$ such that $|a_{2n+1}-a|<\epsilon, \forall n \geq n_2$.

Then we have that $|a_n-a|<\epsilon, \forall n \geq \max \{ n_1,n_2\}$ and $\forall \epsilon$ and thus $a_n \to a$.

Is this right?

Hey evinda!

Yep. (Nod)

evinda said:
2. We have that $0 \leq \frac{x_1+x_2+\dots+x_n}{n} \leq \frac{\frac{n}{2}}{n}=\frac{1}{2}$.

Does this help somehow?

Don't we have:
$$\frac n2 \le x_1+...+x_n \le \frac{n+1}2$$
? (Wondering)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Don't we have:
$$\frac n2 \le x_1+...+x_n \le \frac{n+1}2$$
? (Wondering)

How do we get this inequality?

The sum $x_1+\dots+x_n$ has $n$ summands. If $n$ is even, then the half, namely $\frac{n}{2}$ summands will be equal to $1$.
If $n$ is odd, then $\frac{n-1}{2}$ summands will be equal to $1$.

Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
How do we get this inequality?

The sum $x_1+\dots+x_n$ has $n$ summands. If $n$ is even, then the half, namely $\frac{n}{2}$ summands will be equal to $1$.
If $n$ is odd, then $\frac{n-1}{2}$ summands will be equal to $1$.

Or am I wrong?

Consider $n=1$, which is odd, so we have $x_1=1$.
But $\frac{n-1}{2} = \frac{1-1}{2} = 0 \ne 1$, isn't it? (Thinking)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Consider $n=1$, which is odd, so we have $x_1=1$.
But $\frac{n-1}{2} = \frac{1-1}{2} = 0 \ne 1$, isn't it? (Thinking)

Oh yes, right... If $n$ is odd, then $\frac{n-1}{2}+1=\frac{n+1}{2}$ summands will be equal to $1$, right? (Thinking)

That's why we get $\frac{n}{2}\leq x_1+\dots+x_n \leq \frac{n+1}{2}$.

Then we have that $\frac{1}{2} \leq \frac{x_1+x_2+\dots+x_n}{n} \leq \frac{1}{2} \left( 1+\frac{1}{n}\right) \Rightarrow \frac{1}{2} \leq \lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{x_1+ x_2+\dots+ x_n}{n} \leq \lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac{1}{2} \left( 1+\frac{1}{n} \right)=\frac{1}{2}$ and so the sequence $\frac{x_1+x_2+\dots+x_n}{n}$ converges to $\frac{1}{2}$.

Right?

(Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
(Nod)

Nice, thank you... (Smile)

1. What is the concept of convergence in science?

The concept of convergence in science refers to the coming together of different fields, technologies, or ideas to create new knowledge or solutions to problems. It involves the integration of diverse perspectives and approaches to address complex issues.

2. How do I know if my ideas are converging in the right direction?

There is no definitive answer to this question as convergence is a subjective concept and can be interpreted differently by different individuals. However, some indicators that your ideas may be converging in the right direction include the incorporation of multiple perspectives, the generation of new insights, and the potential for practical applications.

3. Are there any risks involved in pursuing convergence in my research?

As with any scientific endeavor, there are always risks involved in pursuing convergence. These may include challenges in communication and collaboration with individuals from different fields, potential conflicts in approaches or methodologies, and the need for additional resources and expertise. However, the potential benefits of convergence often outweigh these risks.

4. Can convergence be applied to any field of science?

Yes, convergence can be applied to any field of science. In fact, the integration of different disciplines has become increasingly important in addressing complex global challenges such as climate change, sustainable development, and public health. Convergence can also lead to advancements in fundamental scientific understanding and technology development in various fields.

5. How can I promote convergence in my scientific work?

The promotion of convergence in scientific work involves actively seeking out collaborations with individuals from different fields, attending interdisciplinary conferences and workshops, and staying informed about advancements and research in other disciplines. It also requires a willingness to think outside the box and embrace diverse perspectives and approaches.