A couple specific Physics problem solving questions

In summary, the speaker is a student in their first Physics class and is concerned about their problem-solving skills. They ask for advice on how to approach problems and if there are any tips for gaining more insight into the problem. The expert suggests drawing diagrams, not plugging in numbers too early, checking units, and using common sense to check the behavior of equations.
DrummingAtom
I'm in my first ever Physics class and have a few questions concerning skills involving solving Physics problems. I've been noticing that even though I get the right answers, my work getting there is a mess and unorganized. With that said, I have a hunch that won't fly in the upper level classes, which is why I'm trying to figure this out early.

When you're working on a problem do you try to stay away plugging in numbers too early? Like if a problem needs to have several things found to arrive at the final answer, do you make one large equation with only symbols *then* plug in numbers at the very end?

Also, when you get to the end of that a distinct relationship is found among the symbols. Is there anything from a creativity aspect that you do to gain more insight into the problem? I know this question seems a little strange, but I'm pretty new to Physics and want to develop some skills with solving problems as well as some creativity. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A few tips.
1, Draw a diagram - especially for any mechanics type problems
2, Don't put in the numbers until you have the equations rearranged/solved.
3, When you have the equations worked out, check that the units balance.
4, Although you shouldn't put in numbers too early you do need to have an estimate of the answer - or at least the magnitude of the answer. This is especialy important for astronomy/chemistry type questions with very large/small numbers. It's easy to be a factor a million out because you got a unit wrong or mistyped a calcuator button

DrummingAtom said:
When you're working on a problem do you try to stay away plugging in numbers too early? Like if a problem needs to have several things found to arrive at the final answer, do you make one large equation with only symbols *then* plug in numbers at the very end?
Yes, exactly.
Also, when you get to the end of that a distinct relationship is found among the symbols. Is there anything from a creativity aspect that you do to gain more insight into the problem?
Yes, at this point I check if the behavior of the equation agrees with what I know from common sense (or other knowledge I have). Just for example,
  • As one variable is increased, does the result increase or decrease?
  • As one variable is increased, does the result go through a maximum or minimum?
  • What is the result when one variable is zero?
  • What value of the variable would cause the result to be zero?
  • What is the result when one variable approaches infinity?
  • Do the units on both sides of the equation agree? Do the units of terms that are added or subtracted agree?
If the answers to those questions conflict with how I know things should be, that's a signal that I have made a mistake somewhere.

What is the process for solving a Physics problem?

The process for solving a Physics problem typically involves identifying the given information, applying relevant principles and equations, and solving for the unknown variable. It may also require converting units and checking the solution for reasonableness.

How do I know which equations to use for a specific problem?

The equations to use for a specific problem will depend on the given information and what is being asked to solve for. It is important to understand the underlying principles and relationships in order to choose the most appropriate equation.

Can I use the same method to solve every Physics problem?

No, each Physics problem is unique and may require a different approach. It is important to understand the concepts and principles behind the problem in order to choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

What should I do if I get stuck on a Physics problem?

If you get stuck on a Physics problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and focusing on one aspect at a time. You can also try looking for similar examples or seeking help from a teacher or classmate.

How can I check if my answer to a Physics problem is correct?

You can check if your answer to a Physics problem is correct by plugging it back into the original equation and solving for the given variable. You can also check if your answer is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem.