A Double Degree in Phys and Neuroscience Possible? (and other inquiries)

In summary, the speaker is from Malaysia and is applying for an American Degree Transfer Program. They are considering majoring in physics but also have an interest in neuroscience. They are seeking advice on whether it is possible to double major in both subjects and also dealing with concerns about the cost of education. The suggestion is to follow their interests and apply for financial aid if needed.
OneWD
Hey guys.

I'm from Malaysia and I'm currently applying for the American Degree Transfer Program offered in one of the colleges here (Have been in college for only 2 days). I'm planning to major in physics but I'm having some doubts about it. Probably like most of you guys here, I'm a sucker for discovering how the world works and would really love to understand all the tiny little details and tenets of it. Personally, I also find complicated mathematical theorems that have been derived from simple axioms mindblowing and very fulfilling indeed.

But delving into theoretical physics I fear do not also cover some of my younger curiosity, namely the science of the mind and brain (Teenage insecurites FTW). For me, I guess it is more rewarding to be able to apply the physics that I have learned to the human mind and brain so as to be able to understand it from the ground up. Hence my title. Would it be wise (or even possible) to double major in Physics and Neuroscience? Or should I stick to getting a good foundation first in just Physics and Math?

I guess another major concern would be the cost, seeing that I'm coming not from too wealthy a family. May I ask for your help and suggestions as to what I should do with this, PF?

Physics news on Phys.org
OneWD said:
Would it be wise (or even possible) to double major in Physics and Neuroscience? Or should I stick to getting a good foundation first in just Physics and Math?

Do what interests you. If the institution you wind up at allows it, why not?

I guess another major concern would be the cost, seeing that I'm coming not from too wealthy a family. May I ask for your help and suggestions as to what I should do with this, PF?

Apply for financial aid.

1. Is it possible to complete a double degree in Physics and Neuroscience?

Yes, it is possible to complete a double degree in Physics and Neuroscience. Many universities offer this program, allowing students to pursue both areas of study simultaneously.

2. How long does it take to complete a double degree in Physics and Neuroscience?

The length of time to complete a double degree in Physics and Neuroscience varies depending on the specific program and university. On average, it takes around 4-5 years to complete both degrees.

3. Can I specialize in a specific field within Physics and Neuroscience?

Yes, most double degree programs allow students to choose a specialization within each degree. For example, you may specialize in astrophysics within the Physics degree and cognitive neuroscience within the Neuroscience degree.

4. What career opportunities are available with a double degree in Physics and Neuroscience?

A double degree in Physics and Neuroscience opens up a wide range of career opportunities. Some potential career paths include research scientist, medical physicist, neuroscientist, data analyst, and many more.

5. Can I pursue a double degree in Physics and Neuroscience if I have no background in either subject?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a double degree in Physics and Neuroscience even if you have no prior background in either subject. However, it is important to have a strong interest and dedication to both fields of study to be successful in the program.