1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which degree for theoretical neuroscience

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1
    Hi!

Which degree, which subject is more suitable for those wishing to approach theoretical/computational neuroscience and neural simulation, system biology and related fields like bioinformatics?

Physics or Comupter science?

(I live in Europe and we don't have major/minor system)

Physics bachelor's would mean useful courses like statistical and quantum mechanics, some good C programming and algorithm courses (numerical analysis oriented).

(You can do ab iophysics MSc.)

CS means algorithm, logic, databases, artificial intelligence and a lot of mathematics (particularly discrete math).

(You can do bionformatics MSc degree but NOT biophysics, that is only for Phys grad.)

Thanks in advane! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2014 #2
    In North America most theoretical neuroscience students at the graduate level come from physics programmes. I would not say that either physics or CS is better than the other for the field, but that they will focus on separate aspects of the field, except for perhaps those physics majors who know a great deal of programming and theoretical CS.

I would encourage you to take either physics or computer science, and then take as many of the core courses in the other as you can fit into your schedule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook