A few advices for someone with no coding experience.

In summary, the person is asking for advice on what programming language to learn for physics work. They have no coding experience and can spend 3-4 hours a day learning. The expert suggests starting with MATLAB or equivalent for immediate use in plotting and analyzing data. They also mention other options such as Freemat and Julia, which are free. The expert also recommends learning HTML and Javascript for potential job opportunities in web coding. Overall, they suggest starting with basic programming and gradually moving towards more advanced languages.
NooDota
Hello, I've decided that I want to learn physics coding and such. But I have absolutely no coding experience whatsoever, what should I learn? I was told I should learn Maple/Matlab/Mathematica, do I start straight with these? If so, which one should I start with? Or should I start with something completely different?

Also, how long would it take to be experienced at these stuff? I can spend around ~3 hours a day, would I be able to understand it decently in 3-4 months?

Some background info: I'm 16, I'm good at maths and physics (not great, but decent). I finished high school and feel like majoring in physics.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
All of those packages are great. If I had to start with one I would start with MATLAB or an equivalent like Freemat or Julia. Why? Because it could be put to immediate use in plotting and analyzing physics experimental data or in visualizing things about functions. You can also do computational physics with it.

MATLAB costs about $100 usd for a student license. In contrast, both freemat and Julia are free. Of these two freemat is the easiest to install with Julia and ijulia having a complicated install. There are other MATLAB choices like Octave and scilab but Julia is showing a lot of promise as a very high performance alternative.

Checkout Julia tutorials by Dave Sanders on YouTube where you'll see Julia in action using th ijulia notebook tool.

Likes atyy
I'd start with an version of basic, make a text rpg and draw a circle on the screen. qbasic or gwbasic. that was my first exposure to programming.

http://www.gw-basic.com/downloads.html

Last edited:
once you've done that it's time for some html and javascript, make page that converts units and has a calculator.

Okay, thanks. All I'm interested in is the programming I'll be using in physics, nothing more. Will I be using any of these stuff in physics? I don't really know.

You won't use HTML and Javascript much in physics work, but Web coding skills are useful to have anyway. If you can't find a physics job, website work usually pays more than working at McDonald's (or whatever the equivalent is in your country). :biggrin:

1. What are some tips for someone with no coding experience?

Some tips for someone with no coding experience include starting with a beginner-friendly programming language, practicing regularly, seeking out online resources and tutorials, and not being afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.

2. How can I learn to code if I have no previous experience?

You can learn to code by taking online courses, attending coding bootcamps, practicing with coding challenges and projects, and seeking guidance and feedback from experienced programmers.

3. Is coding difficult for someone with no experience?

Coding can be challenging for someone with no experience, but with dedication and practice, anyone can learn to code. It may take some time to understand the concepts and develop problem-solving skills, but it is not impossible.

4. What are the benefits of learning to code?

Learning to code can open up many career opportunities, as coding skills are in high demand in various industries. It also enhances problem-solving skills, improves logical thinking, and allows for creative expression through building and designing applications and websites.

5. Can I still learn to code if I am not good at math?

Yes, you can still learn to code even if you are not good at math. While some programming languages and concepts may involve math, there are many aspects of coding that do not require advanced mathematical skills. With practice and determination, anyone can learn to code regardless of their math abilities.