1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Few Questions I Would Like to Endeavour to Ask

1. Jun 15, 2009 #1
    Ok, I have a Physics exam in two days (on DC circuits) and I've pretty much done everything I've needed to. However, I am anticipating a few difficult problem solving questions, so just in case I would like to clarify a few things:

1. Generally, if you had two or more sources of power supply (EMFs) in a circuit; how would you tackle the problem? Just a general formula or tactic would be appropriate?

2. With regard to the voltage symbol in an EMF, does it matter how many lines you have or do a certain amount of lines denote a certain amount of voltage.

3. This last question isn't really to do with problem solving, but rather, I've always wondered. In a DC circuit, does the current always travels from the negative side through a possible route and to the positive end of the power supply?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

1) Use Kirchhoff's junction and loop rule.

2)Do you mean the battery (smal -| big |+)? You cannot deduce the voltage over the battery's terminals from any lines/drawing.

3)Current runs, conventionally, from the + terminal to the - terminal. The electron current itself, since electrons have negative charge, runs from the - terminal to the +terminal

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook