1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A formula that should be easy for forum members

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to come up with a formula that will generate a price based on its cost. The only trick is that it cant be something constant like 20% or 30% more than the cost. It has to be a formula that adds a bigger profit on smaller numbers and lower profit on bigger numbers.

So on a straight forward 20% on top cost would be:

Cost*1.2=Price ---- so $1.00 cost would result $1.20 and $10.00 would result $12.00 and $100 cost would result $120.00

What i would like is smaller number costs from $0.50-$1.00 to be 150% profit, and 1.00 to 2.00 to be something like 100% profit, and 2.00-3.00 to be 75% profit and 5.00-10.00 to be 50% and 10.00-20.00 to be 25% and 20.00-50.00 to be 18% ---- except the curve the % change should be smooth in correlation to the increasing or decreasing of the cost price. So as the numbers are smaller (ex. $0.50 or $1.00) the percentage starts very high and decreases dramatically and levels out around $20.00-$80.00 and higher to 17-18%.

Any ideas on how to do this with a 1 line formula? Any help would be much appreciated.

-Raf

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first thing that comes to mind is an exponential function. Try and play around with the function e-x to get something that does what you want

4. Nov 26, 2011 #3
    Hi Shredder,

I am terrible at math. I need to do this in excel --- any idea or an example of what you are trying to tell me? If you give me an example then i can get an idea and start to play around with it?

Raf

5. Nov 26, 2011 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Basically you're looking for a function which is decreasing, starts off fairly large and then levels off

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=graph+e^(-x)+1+from+0+to+4

Looking at the graph it satisfies your criteria. If it cost you c dollars to buy the product, you could try selling it for (e-c+1)*c. For very large values of c you're making an arbitrarily small profit so you might want to shift the graph up by a little bit to guarantee a baseline profit. If you want to change how quickly your profit percentage drops, change the base of the exponent

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=graph+e^(-x)+1,+5^(-x)+1,+1.1^(-x)+1+from+0+to+4

All of those functions level out at a value of 1 for extremely large values of x, but they obviously do it at different rates

6. Nov 26, 2011 #5
    Hi Shredder,

Thanks for the prompt response... I understand by looking at the curve that it is the correct representation of the strategy i am trying to go for.. The problem is my understanding of mathematics behind it. What does the E stand for? I need to plug this in a excel file that will spit out the right number for me. So if my cost is .50 --- it spits our 1.50 and the higher Cost goes, the lower the % difference between cost and the number it spits out.

How can I structure your formula so that it is excel friendly?

7. Nov 26, 2011 #6
    f(x)=e^x is called the exponential function. You can look it up on Wikipedia. In excel you can input it as exp(x), or in this case c*(exp(-c)+1). In nice print (Latex), it looks like this:

[tex]
    c\cdot( e^{-c}+1)
    [/tex]

As Office Shredder suggested, you probably should add a base profit/cost:

[tex]
    c\cdot( e^{-c}+1) + k
    [/tex]

8. Nov 27, 2011 #7
    problem solved.... thank you all so much!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook