1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A function describing a tilted tube

1. Jun 7, 2013 #1
    Hi

I have a function, which is cylindrical symmetric given by
    [tex]
    f(x, y, z) = \exp(-x^2-z^2)
    [/tex]
    For a given [itex]y[/itex], the function [itex]\exp(-x^2-z^2) = c[/itex] traces out a circle (where c is a constant). A contourplot of [itex]f(x, 0, z)[/itex] is attached.

However, this is for [itex]y=0[/itex] (currently, I get the same plot for an arbitrary value of y). I am interested in constructing a function, which is identical to [itex]f[/itex], but where the center of the above circle increases linearly with y. In other words, at [itex]y=y'[/itex] I want my function to have the same contour plot as attached, but its center should be at [itex]y=y'[/itex].

Is it possible to construct such a function? I guess this is merely a tube, which is tilted.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Niles! :smile:

Essentially, this is a function of r, where in the simple case r is the distance from the y-axis,

ie r2 = x2 + z2.

In the slanted case, r is the distance (parallel to the x-z-plane) from (ky',y',0),

so r2 = (x - ky')2 + z2. :wink:

4. Jun 9, 2013 #3
    Thanks tiny-tim, that is a good explanation.

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4
    If I want to rotate this function by an angle α around the y-axis (for a given slope k), then I need to invoke the rotation matrix. So we now have
    [tex]
    f(x, y, z) = \exp(-(x-ky)^2)\exp(-z^2)
    [/tex]
    and in order to rotate it I would use
    [tex]
    f(x\cos(\alpha) - z\sin(\alpha), y, x\sin(\alpha) + z\cos(\alpha))
    [/tex]
    Is this correct?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  6. Jun 9, 2013 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Niles! :smile:

Yes, that looks ok.

7. Jun 9, 2013 #6
    Thanks. However, I think I am not 100% correct - simply because we're not rotating the function along the [itex]y[/itex]-axis (which is what I suggested above), but along the line [itex]ky=x[/itex]. I'll have to work on this a little more.... I can let you know how it turns out.

By the way, can I slant [itex]f[/itex] independenty in both [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex]? So if I want a gradient in both of these dimensions, I am allowed to make the trivial extension
    [tex]
    f(x, y, z) = \exp(-(x-k'y)^2)\exp(-(z-k''z)^2)
    [/tex]
    I believe so, because the two dimensions are independent of eachother.

8. Jun 9, 2013 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

let's see …

that makes r the distance from (x,y,z) to (k'y,y,k''z),

so yes, that would be from the axis x/k' = z'k'' = y, but slanted so as to be parallel to the x-z plane :smile:

9. Jun 10, 2013 #8
    Thanks, that's also what I thought.. I'm interested in seeing how to generalize this result to ellipses. I'll best create a new thread in order to keep things organized, but I will refer to this thread.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook